Thursday, March 6, 2008

I am going to quit school and become a landscaper.

Well I won't but it sure did cross my mind yesterday while I was helping Franky with his landscaping. I didn't have to go to school yesterday so I had a client in the morning and then I got a text from Franky saying that his brother didn't show up for work today and was a bit frustrated because he wanted to finish this project he was working on. I was planning on going for a walk around Stanley Park with Sir Teako but then I figured I could help Franky out instead. It was a beautiful day so why not.
So I worked on finishing the paver by sweeping sand in between the bricks that formed the paver. It was great. It was sunny, I was active, there was music and I was happy. Really, it doesn't take much to make me happy.
At one point and time, Franky was pouring sand and I was talking to Joy over the phone. He told me not to breathe it in the sand dust. It didn't make much sense to me so I asked him why I couldn't and he told me that it was because of the silica. Makes sense I remember something about silica in our pathology class. Then I thought... We're using sandbox sand... the same sand that children play in... with silica... which causes pathologies. Does that not seem fucked up! So my kids won't be playing in a sand box! I had a sandbox when I was a kid and it kinda sucked. It was like a slug,snail and other little crawlies utopia. It was also the neighbourhood kitty litter. Maybe that's why Mum and Dad gave us a sand sifter.
Anyways I had a great time landscaping... or rather, being a sand pusher :P Maybe I can do this every wednesday. Could be fun.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sup Janelle this is Ilia. I stumbled upon your blog today. Anyway I actually lay paving stones for a living. Small world. You can make more money doing that than from a college job. Plus no school fees. You get paid to learn (and exercise).