Thursday, April 26, 2007

Restructuring?

A month or so ago, the three classes that made up our school wrote a letter to the Dean requesting two weeks off between levels instead of the one that we have now.
Today the Dean of the program and the head administrator guy called a meeting for everyone in the program (we are now four classes). The good news: our two week break request was accepted! The bad news... well there wasn't any really... We just opened a can of worms.
You see the thing is that with our program, after we graduate, we have the option of going on to do a bachelors in health science if we'd like. Now when we started this program, we were told that it was just a year in order to get our bachelors. The administrator guy called Thompson Rivers University (that's who we'd do our bachelors with, not with Utopia) and he was told that we'd get a total of approximately 57 credits for our program (therefore it would take us two years to get our bachelors). This is stupid because the other massage program gets 84. Here's where we got fucked over (this might just be a temporary fucking though)... our program is condensed... so instead of going to school for 3 years, we are going to school for 2 and still get three thousand hours of education. So they don't count the hours but the years! Anyways that's just not cool!
So the Dean and the administrator came up with a solution. They would lengthen our program (here I was thinking... YAY time off!!). So they showed us what our terms would look like. They would all lengthen by 3 weeks and we'd get two weeks break between levels (NO! that was my answer... I am not letting them drag on the program without more time off!). So then he shows us an other slide of a breakdown of one term. Our first week would be English (which is necessary to have in order to get your bachelors, we don't have that now), then we'd have our weeks as normal except that... before our mid terms and before our finals we'd have a week off. So really the schooling is the same amount plus English and plus two weeks off - as reading weeks - and then our regular two week break between levels. This would lengthen the program enough to give us at least 84 credits... Yes yes yes yes yes! was all I could keep on thinking! Hell that would allow me to catch up! I might even be able to be sane again. Oh I hardly remember what that feels like! Fuck credits... they're just a bonus at this point!
Here's the catch... the whole school has to agree. Including the class that is 4 days old (they are too green to know how intense this program is). So we have a week to sleep on it and then we're going to address it again.
I don't know how that's going to pan out. Some people were obviously upset about this... I won't comment on that other then to say:
When I started the program I was told over and over and over again that massage therapy is NOT an easy program at all! I figured "Bah! You are all pussies and I'll show you how to rock this program!" Stupid or stubborn... I don't know but needless to say I was rocked by the program. It broke me down like nothing ever could. And it's not only me... we were 10 people in the class when the program stared and now we're 5 with rumors going around that 3 people are going to take a term off - either this one or next. That leaves what? Two people? Hmm so it looks like it's not just me. It's happened in the other class as well. Their class shrunk, so now they are all taking a term off and then merging with ours in August.
Anyways we'll see where this all goes. I'm still meeting with the Dean tomorrow about my thoughts on my own issues. I am not too sure if the change were to take place if I would still go to school part time. It's all a little too new... so I'll have to sleep on it.
In other news... the main street bus (the bus I take every day to go to and from school) smelt like wet homeless person... there are more and more hot bus drivers :)... my iPod has a clock function... my iPod has games - this should make busing more interesting... I passed both my quizzes and I found out that Josh Groban is coming to town in August (I am SO going!).

1 comment:

Frank said...

Woohoo! Way To Go Canucks!