Monday, April 23, 2007

Pan American diving trials


Well after a morning of laundry and cleaning (no homework... yay procrastination!) I made my way to the Pan American diving trials. I made sure to give myself plenty of time that way I could walk most of the way if I wanted. I arrived at 2:30 and watched the guys practice their 3m dives. It was unreal! I saw Alexandre Despatie and the rest of the guys on the National diving team. It was really difficult to believe that they were there. The guys that I watched on TV were diving right in front of me (and because I'd gotten there quite a while before the competition, started at 4, I was in the front row in the middle)!!! I still can't believe it. I have videos and photos to prove it though. The thing is, I didn't take any photos while the guys were diving, I was too mesmerized (I am sure the speedos helped).
One thing I couldn't figure out was... how come they don't lose their itty bitty speedo! I mean when I dive or when I am body boarding I always have to readjust or else I come out with my swimsuit around my ankles and one boob out (though they don't have to worry about the boob thing). Anyways they didn't have a underwater camera so I couldn't see if they were readjusting... but even when I watch the Olympics and they have underwater cameras, you never see them fix their swimsuit. Well I guess this an other one of life's little mysteries.
I stayed and watched the women dive as well. They were doing the final for the 10m. That was something else to see! I'm a bit of a fraidy cat so I tend not to jump off that sucker... but these women they were doing handstand and then doing like 3 summersaults and... well you've seen em on TV!
Through our massage therapy program, we've seen a lot of bodies and I'd never really wanted to work with athletes... but after today's performance I'd be tempted. There were a few of them that were taped up and I couldn't help but wonder what type of injury they had and what could be done to rehab them. I was talking to one of the judges who was saying that this one guy had a cramp in his calf and that was why he was bandaged up. His therapist (whether physio or massage, I didn't ask) had worked on him prior to the event, but dispite that, he still looked as if he was in a lot of pain. Anyways it could be a possibility... there are many options for me, I just have to choose :)

No comments: