Wednesday, April 25, 2007

My Canuck Fanness


My Uncle Steve was the first one to bring me to a hockey game and though I'd like to say I was hooked then... I wasn't. Actually I was quite afraid of the blaring horn every time someone would score. I even feared going to a hockey game because of that. Now I am glad that I went and I am proud to say that my Uncle Steve brought me to those games :)
My brother, on the other hand, was a Canuck fan even when he was a little kid. I remember Uncle Steve (who is a Canuck fan... mum and dad arn't so much... so we get our sports knowledge from Uncle Steve) getting him boxes of old hockey cards and we'd spend hours organizing them into teams, separating them into conferences (not divisions because they weren't in place yet) and then putting them in binders.
It wasn't until I dated Matt in 2002 that I started to watch the game. After much explaining on his behalf I started to understand the rules, figure out who the players were and actually enjoy the game! I've been following the games since then :) Last year, Celine and I both got t-shirts that read "Canucks girl" on them. We went to several bars to watch the game together (and her boyfriend or mine would be there as well... Scott is a huge fan as well). It was good times to go watch the games with her. It was also awesome to watch her get all angry (as french people from France do) when the Canucks weren't in top form. Now she's in Montreal and we can't watch the games together anymore :(
Paul was very brave and bought me tickets for Christmas to go watch the Canucks. I don't know too many boyfriends that would do that (or too many girlfriends that wouldn't get offended)... so we went and watched the Canucks vs Panthers and was that ever an exciting game :) I had a really good time (thanks Paul). It was good to go with Paul as well because we watched quite a few games together (though I don't think he took into account... or even knew that I was a slight bit more vocal when I was AT the game).
Now today's an other day that goes down in my Canuck fan history... I bought my first ever jersey! I was somewhat waiting to get one for my birthday or Christmas but I came to the realization that I wouldn't get one because I'm a girl... and girls don't get jerseys for their birthday or Christmas. I love my jersey! I even got Taylor Pyatt's last name and number printed on it. It had to be custom printed because no one really wants a Pyatt jersey (or that is what they told me)... He's still my fave player :) I think he's gonna go far.
Anyways game starts at 7 :) Canucks vs Ducks... I best get at least an hour of studying in... two quizzes tomorrow. Oh and I made an appointment with the dean for Friday at noon... we'll see what that brings.

1 comment:

Frank said...

I was sad about the game last night. However, they will still win the series!!! Nice jersey by the way ;-)