Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Overthinking things

Hawaii is in about 30 days and I've started to think about getting ready for my trip. One of these things would include getting a base tan to prevent burning when I first expose myself to the sun. On Sunday Darla (who is leaving for Cuba in less then a week) and I went to the tanning salon. As I was in the tanning booth I was thinking of how stupid all of this is. Here I am exposing myself to some really strong radiations. This could cause premature skin aging and possibly skin cancer. So why am I in there? And what's worse? Being exposed by these tanning lights or going to Hawaii and getting burnt? And why am I so concerned about getting brunt? Well I hardly ever wear sunscreen because sunscreen in it's original form is fine and not carcinogenic but when it's exposed to heat, there are some chemical changes that occur making the sunscreen carcinogenic. So what do I do? I gradually expose myself to sunshine, building up my tolerance naturally. Last time in Maui I was whiter then the sand and because I was so white, I wore sunscreen. Still I burnt. Anyways I am over thinking all of this but I'd like to know what's the safest way to go about this.

Things that have made me smile today:
Watching a mother keep her baby daughter entertained on the bus with a paper towel. The baby then wanting to put the paper towel in her mouth, the mother pulling it away from her mouth and the baby quickly putting it back. This went back and forth for a while and it was quite amusing to watch.
While on the skytrain, I was sitting next to a Dad and his son. We were between Main street and Stadium station at the windy part when the little kid smiled and said "wheeee... the next station is... what's the next station Dad.". Damn it was so cute. Kids are so care free.

No comments: