Friday, May 18, 2007

Salsa... not only for eating


Well I had my first salsa dancing class yesterday and I think I found my new favorite thing to do :) I had such an awesome time! I caught on quicker then I thought... but I also forgot quicker then I thought I would. Damn! Oh well we've got Ben and Jason at school that both do Salsa dancing so I can ask them... I think I can remember but I forget if the steps are on a 6 count or an 8. No matter what it was good fun. There were enough guys to go around as well (actually there were a few too many)... on more then one occasion I was paired with a guy who was quite good and gave very important pointers (don't look at your feet, take smaller steps, firm up your arms, let me lead... ok so I needed quite a few pointers). He was very serious about dancing so didn't really crack a smile the entire time but out of everyone that I danced with, I enjoyed dancing with him the best. There was also a break dancer guy who'd never done salsa before and he was REALLY fun to dance with... though we did more of a freestyle salsa. It was good fun.
Well I'm looking froward to my next class. Towards the end of the class, I overheard a girl say to someone else that it's best to start dancing with high heels because then you're doing the basics with heels. This made sence so I looked through my shoe collection (which consists mostly of flats) and found this pair of shoes... These are my "I own the world" shoes cuz when I wear them I'm 6 feet tall (or just about... I tower over everyone anyways). They'll do until I found leather bottomed shoes (easier for turning and basically what you need for this kinda dancing). I am also interested in finding a partner that I can dance with. I'm kinda disappointed that I didn't continue with my dancing when I was a kid. So I guess this is me catching up now and totally loving it. I don't think I've smiled and laughed so much in an hour since Paul and I broke up. It was good. It also helped me realize that I am better off single (not cuz there were many guys...). While Paul and I were dating I wanted to take dancing classes and initially he did too. I never took classes because if I learnt then I knew he wouldn't join later cuz then I'd be better then him (and most guys don't like that). So I never did. Now I don't have that holding me back and I kinda wish I would have been more selfish and taken these classes sooner (like two years ago).
Well clinic is only 7 minutes away and I am not in my clinic uniform nor do I have my room set up (naughty me).

1 comment:

Frank said...

That's awesome about the class. I'd try salsa dancing, but i don't think i'm quite that coordinated. It's great that you found something fun that you really enjoy. Nice shoes BTW!