Sunday, May 13, 2007

Happy Mothers Day :)

Happy Mothers Day Mommy (and all the other mothers out there as well)! Today we celebrate everything our mothers mean to us. To me, Mum is someone that I can talk to... she's someone who's always there with a shoulder to cry on... and she gives great hugs. I am very fortunate to have a Mum like her.
This morning I was thinking of my cousin Michelle, who's mother passed away of breast cancer not this past Christmas but the one before that... my heart aches for her because I can just imagine what she's gone though and what she is feeling today... while everyone is celebrating their mothers... hers isn't with her. But then I think of how lucky she was to even have known her mother and that her mother loved her as much as she did.
A lot of people don't have moms for some reason. Maybe they were put up for adoption, maybe their mother passed away when they were young, maybe their mothers left them or maybe they were there but they didn't love their child. All of those things are worse then having a mother who was there and loved you for part of your life. I know how hard life is even with the most wonderful family... I don't want to think how hard it would be without the support of family. Though some say that they are fine with it... I can't help but think that maybe deep down inside they are wishing they had a family who loved them.
We're fortunate. My brother and I wanted to show Mum how much she's appreciated so yesterday we went to Figaro's Garden and to Home Depot to get some things to make a flower box for mum. Well we bought the flower box and the hard wear to hang it at Home Depot (I love Home Depot :) it almost ranks up there with Ikea) then walked from the Home Depot on terminal to Figaro's Garden on 3rd and Victoria with all our gardening paraphenalia and picked out some lovely flowers to go in the flower box. We then bussed home with all our stuff (we got some weird looks cuz how many people bus with big plants?) and then hid all our things in my room. While Mum and Dad were having dinner, we were sneaking around and putting together our flower box. We even got to use power tools to make holes (to steady the heart on top of the climbing honey suckle plant). At the end my room was covered in dirt and we managed to lose a slug (who's roaming free in my room right now...) but we were so proud of... the most gorgeous flower box we'd ever seen.
This morning at 6am we made a banner and snuck around to hang the box on the balcony that way Mum could see it when she got up this morning. I went back to sleep and missed her reaction but she came downstairs to tell my bro and I how much she loved the basket that we made her. Sure it's such a simple thing but I hope that every time she looks at it, she's reminded of how much she's loved by her two kids.

No comments: