Monday, December 10, 2007

Spaghetti Girls

Yesterday was the time again for more shenanigans at the Railway club. Initially a bunch of us were supposed to go out but being it's exam time and late on a Sunday, Pam and I were the only two that ended up going... and man what a fun night it was last night.
After swapping massages and an amazing dinner (yes, truly amazing... salmon, prawns, green beans, wild rice and Alsatian apple tart) we got ready to go the the Railway club. Here is discovered the brilliance of a diffuser! I'd never blow dry my hair because I would look like I stuck my finger in an electrical socket. Not the look I am going for. But shit... you put a diffuser on a blow dryer and like magic... you get gorgeous curls... I love having curly hair (when you know what to do with it).
Anyways we made our way to the Railway club. Eric had said to get there early because it's often busy. All the times I went there... there were people but I wouldn't say it was busy. Tonight it was! It was so packed, you had to squirm between people to get past. After about 10 steps, this is when I noticed the majority of the people there were women. By majority I mean I counted two guys. Then I noticed the poster behind the stage which read "Positive Women's Network" and Pam whispered something to me along the lines of something feminist. By this time, Pam and I were having a great time. Both of us were rather drunk, the music was great and all these ladies were so friendly.
I noticed that quite a few ladies had short hair... some were cuddling and even kissing. That's when the light went on. As if on cue, the singer introduced her next song. It was called Spaghetti Girl. Then she went on to ask the crowd if they knew what a spaghetti girl was. Most women replied no, while a few laughed. She went on to explain that a spaghetti girl was... a spaghetti girl is a straight girl "straight until you get them wet." :) The song was great too! Something about if your man don't mind something something... I was too drunk to get most of it or remember the name of the artist. Anyways so Pam and I were probably the only two spaghetti girls in the entire place.
The night went on and we met some pretty cool ladies. We found out that this is a yearly event that the Positive women's network puts on to raise funds for women in the gay community living with aids. The music was great! There were so many different artists (most went on for two or three songs) that it was impossible to catch a name or anything like that. Eventually Lauren met up with us and we had a glass of wine with her (well I didn't... I know my limit and I'd reached it). It was great to catch up with her! She then drove Pam and myself to Pam's place where we helped one of her roommates study for his Accounting final that he had today. In hind sight he probably wanted to kick us out of his room... two drunk girls taking over his books and helping him answer his review questions. But oh well.
This morning wasn't too rough... but I am feeling rather sore. Not too sure why. Having seen Steve and Josh (Pam's roommates) study so much it gave me anxiety because I have finals too. Pam kept reminding me that I had a reading week but that still didn't stop me from only having 4 hours of sleep before leaving her place to go back to mine to study. Damn... it's like a disease.

No comments: