Saturday, December 15, 2007

Depuis j'traine sur le quai, j'regarde les trains au depart

My brother told me about this song by Grand Corp Malade. It's called Voyage En Train (Train Journeys). I found the lyrics in English because I believe it's worth sharing. So here they are.

Train Journeys

You could say that love stories are like journeys by train
And sometimes when I see those travellers I'd like to be one again
Why do you think so many people wait at the platform gate
Why do you think we stress so much when we arrive a little late

The train often pulls away when we least anticipate
And the love story carries you off from those who commentate
The commentators are your mates who say goodbye at the station
They watch the train pull away with a look of trepidation
You wave back at them and imagine their comments going around
Some say that you've made a mistake, that your feet aren't on the ground
Each one makes a prediction for how long the trip will last
Most of them think that the train will derail at the first stormy blast

Real love, it's no surprise, changes the look on your face
So, from day one you should carefully chose your place
A seat by the isle or next to the window glass
What do you chose, a love story in first or second class

The first few miles you can't take your eyes from her face
You barely notice out the window the passing green open space
You feel light, life is a flower and you're drinking her nectar
You feel so good that you almost want to kiss the ticket collector

But the magic only lasts a time, your story's running out of steam
You tell yourself you're in it for nothing, "it's all her fault", you want to scream
The trains rumble makes you drunk, you feel sick at each bend
You've got to get up, walk out and find a way for your heart to mend

Now the train slows down, it's already the end of your tale
And what's more you're like a fool, your mates are at the other end of the rail
You say goodbye to the one you'll now call your ex
In her address book, she whites out your name in tippex

So you see that love stories are like journeys by train
And sometimes when I see those travellers I'd like to be one again
Why do you think so many people wait at the platform gate
Why do you think we stress so much when we arrive a little late

For some life is all about catching the train
To feel love and to feel their energy bubbling like champagne
For others the aim is to arrive with time to spare
To have a safe trip and to live without a care

It's easy to catch a train but make sure you pick well
I got into two or three but not the right carriage , I could tell
For trains are temperamental, some you try to reach but fail
And I don't always think it's possible on network rail

For some the trains are always on strike ,or so it seems
And their love stories only exist in their dreams
Others jump on the first train without paying attention
But, of course, they get off disappointed at the next station
Still others stress about commitment as they're over-emotive
For them it's too risky to hold onto the locomotive
And there are the adventurers who take trip after trip
Once one story is over, to the next page they flip

I suffered for months after my only real journey
We both agreed to leave but she agreed more then me
Since then, I hang out on the platform, watching the trains pull away
Some doors open, but for now it's on the platform I'll stay

It seems that train journeys end badly more often then not
If that's the case for you hang on, don't tie your heart in a knot
Because one thing is for certain there will always be a termin-us
Now you've been warned, next time take the bus

The french version is still better but that's how it goes with most translated things.

We both agreed to leave but she agreed more then me

Since then, I hang out on the platform, watching the trains pull away
Some doors open, but for now it's on the platform I'll stay


Replace she with he and I think that's why this song has marked me.
Well tomorrow's an other day full of studying. I best get to bed. Rest is good.

1 comment:

Lina said...

I'm no expert at pepparkakor (ginger biscuits), I'm only good at eating them :) Oh how I wish that I was a baking person, but I'm not, at least not yet... (poor busy stressed sloppy student...)

Maybe you could try this: http://www.acatinthekitchen.com/?p=100 or this: http://bums.nu/292

Or maybe you could buy Swedish pepparkakor here: http://www.annas.se/artikel.asp

Good luck, they're definitely worth the effort!