Sunday, December 30, 2007

Enjoying my break

Am I ever glad we have two weeks break! So far I've been enjoying ever minute of it.
Snowshoeing was awesome! Nadine and I had such a great time. Being the road conditions weren't favorable there weren't too many people on the trails so it made for a really peaceful walk. Sometimes when we'd stop and listen, all we could hear was our own breath and the falling snow. It was so tranquil. Sure Nadine and I had to goof around a bit though. We went off the trails a bit (though not too far because it would be VERY easy to lose your way...) the snow was deep but light and fluffy so it was easy to fall (either that or we weren't so good at staying on our feet). It was tons of fun though. I am looking forward to doing it all again.
Yesterday Maggie and I went to see the Nutcracker performed by the Moscow Ballet! It was stunning! We were really fortunate because we were in the 1st row right in the middle. We were so close that we could see the crack in the pants of the main dancer. Their bodies are amazing! I spent probably about 1/2 the time analyzing their movements and thinking about how they trained, warmed up, stretched... etc. I was able to enjoy the show though... After the show Maggie and I went to the backstage doors because I wanted to ask the dancers a few questions about their training and things like this. We did talk to this one guy who was waiting for someone but... he didn't really speak English :) and well Maggie and I don't speak Russian so... oh well. We spoke for about 15 minutes or so and him and his buddy were quite interesting. They'd already done 28 shows around the US, Mexico and Canada. This was their before last day and they'd done two shows today so their legs were really sore. I asked what they did for their sore legs and they said beer and jacuzzi. Massage? Sometimes. Well there's my answer :)
It was funny because one thing that is universal is the two words "strip club". They understood that (they were asking about clubs in Vancouver... they are going to be here over new years) and they laughed, pointed at the Theatre doors and said "every day strip club... but no" and they pointed at their chest and made a flat motion with their hand. The the other makes a motion of big breasts with his hands and says "me like BIG seesters". Some things don't change no matter where you're from.
So today I'm taking it easy. On the 26th I started to get an itchy throat, 27th it was worse but I went snowshoeing anyways. I asked my body nicely to hang in there until the 29th when I'd have a day off (28th I worked). But I woke up on the 28th with a sore throat and a fever. Damn. Well in all fairness my body did give me two days warning. I spent all of the 28th watching the 1st season of House. I'm hooked! 29th I felt better but still a little rough so I cleaned my room and sorted and put over 500 photos in albums. Today more R&Ring... posting pics and creating a smugmug account for my pictures. Going to start the 2nd season of House and I'm going to sleep. Tomorrow until the 4th I am working every day. Not too sure what I am going to do for new years yet... I gotta work the next day so we'll see.

No comments: