Friday, December 14, 2007

It's a little bit funny, this feeling inside.

No, I don't have an upset tummy, a cold or anything else that could make me feel physically funny. It's more of an emotionally funny feeling one that I am not too sure if I should do anything with. Something to do with my vagus nerve I imagine :P Ah though I won't worry about it now. There's studying to be done.
I'm currently finishing up a projects for my Research and Statistics class and it's really quite interesting. We had to read a research paper and has to summarize it. Write whether the paper was trying to discover, prove or disprove something and why. It's really introducing the idea that osteopathic treatments* when used with progressive muscular relaxation** is effective in treating tension type headaches. Then we had to write about the economic burden due to this research and then the third part was the social benefits of this reasearch and last but not least how is this relevant to our profession as registered massage therapists.
I'm now working on the last part and this is where I got carried away. I looked at what osteopathic treatments include (modality/technique wise) and then compared it to massage therapy. Found that there are many similarities. I then looked at the list of continuing education for massage therapists (it's mandatory that all registered massage therapists complete a certain amount of credits every two - I think it's two... - years) and boy I can't wait to take some of these courses! Courses like Massage therapy for the childbearing years (a 5 part course!!! woo!), osteopathic approach to feminine balance, Cranioscaral (Many many classes for this modality) and myofascial (also has many classes) to name a few (there's 20 pages of courses that one can take). It's the specialization that I think I will find interesting. Not that what I am learning now is not interesting, it is. It's just not what I am interested in doing.
Ok back to research project... then more studying. Maybe gym tonight if I'm good (didn't have time to go yesterday too much running around... did everything though... well except for the gym.)
*Osteopathy: A system of medicine that is based upon the theory that the human body is a vital organism in which structural and functional states are of equal importance and that they body can rectify toxic conditions when it has favorable environmental circumstances and satisfactory nutrition.
**Progressive muscular relaxation: Based upon an ancient yogic practice called yog nidra, this is a guided, stress releasing process that is accomplished by leading the recipient step by step, muscle group by muscle group, moving from the feet up to the head, to experience the sensation of contreaction the subsequent relaxation or decreased intensity of muscle tension. (This releases tension and energises... or so they say, personally it puts me to sleep :) )

No comments: