Friday, December 21, 2007

Charcot Marie Tooth Disease

This one had me confused for a LONG time! I didn't understand why it was called tooth disease when it has nothing to do with your teeth. It's actually in your feet and legs (sometimes in hand and arms). So I looked it up in all of my pathology text books (too many of them really, but I need them all cuz some are simplified, some are more elaborate, some are like a foreign language to me but we're supposed to be able to read em...).
Turns out it's called Carcot-Marie-Tooth Disease because it's Jean-Marie Charcot, Pierre Marie and Howard Henry Tooth that discovered the damn thing! Well then next time leave Howard Henry Tooth out of it because it confuses the hell out of me. Maybe it should be called Charcot Marie Howard Disease... then people won't associate it with some kind of pathology in the mouth. After all neuropathies can happen everywhere so it's no as if it's indicative of where it could be.
Anyways maybe that's only me who gets confused :) Time to go back to studying to unconfuse myself some more!

While searching for photos of this disease I found one of a mouse who has CMT Disease... Poor mouse! :(
He kinda looks like he's just chillin but his little feetsies are affected :(

No comments: