Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Surrender

After our mid term this morning, Heidi and I went for a swim because we had two hours between our morning and afternoon class. I hadn't been swimming in a while so it was nice to be back in the pool. This time I noticed a marked difference between my state of mind while swimming.
During my first couple of laps, my mind was like a race car, racing though all of the things that need to be done, can be done, must be done, should be done etc etc etc!
My mind then shifted to counting my strokes and timing my inhalation and exhalations with the strokes.
After a while, my mind was still. I wasn't even thinking about my breathing or my strokes, everything just worked. The sound of my heart beating and the water rushing past my ears soothes me and is the only thing that I notice.
I love it. Swimming is my meditation.

*Image obtained from google images

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Until I got to the bottom I was going to write that it was an amazing picture : P