Friday, March 6, 2009

Childhood memories

For the majority of my childhood my bedroom was less then 5 feet away from the kitchen. Being the traditional French Canadian family that we are, most of our gatherings happen in the kitchen. I remember being a little girl and having to go to bed early when Mom and Dad had friends over. I remember laying in bed, listening to their chatter and laughter and eventually drifting off to dream land. It was a sound that was comforting to me and it still is.
I love hostels because of it. Because I go to bed early (even when traveling), I often fall asleep to the sound of strangers chattering away, singing or laughing. It always blends so wonderfully together and I find it so comforting. It's the perfect lullaby.
Tonight I was reminded of this because I am in bed and my parents, brother, uncle Ger, aunt Mireille and uncle Jeff are all upstairs, talking and laughing. I'm in bed, exhausted but happy. So tonight I fall asleep, to my perfect lullaby.

No comments: