Thursday, March 12, 2009

On accountability

Speaking of accountability and opportunities for learning from our mistakes... I got a real test in accountability and learning this week. I've been debating whether I should blog about this because it's embarrassing and I am still beating myself up over it.
For our last level, we've been working on a case study. Mine was bruxism (teeth grinding). I spent many hours researching prior to commencing treatment. I had come up with quite a clever list of questions for my case history and all kinds of different assessments that would incorporate the whole body so that I wouldn't be focused just on the TMJ joint. Instead of spending the hour and a half (like we were told to) on each treatment I would spent from 3 to 4 and a half. By the end I was exhausted but I was very interested in my case study and found that my hard work was showing in the treatments. I also created a very well put together chart. I charted EVERYTHING! I am also an epicly slow charter so it took me a long while to create such a thing.
Anyways, my case study is also a friend of mine. After last treatment we left together and I asked them to keep the chart in their bag (because it didn't fit in my purse). I figured because it was their chart there I was not breaching confidentiality. We stopped at their school and while they were taking care of a bit of schoolwork, I charted and went over the entire chart and formulated theories as to what was happening with said case.
Anyways, that was the last we saw of the chart. I gave it back to them to put in their bag and whether it was actually put in the bag or set aside or misplaced, I don't know. My case study knows that this chart is MIA, both of us are equally perplexed as to where it could have gone. I am choked because... I lost a freaking chart! I always told myself that I would be an ace at keeping files! I freaking lost it! Confidentiality breached and all.
Anyways, it's a learning experience. I've got to deal with it. The work can be reproduced, that's not that much trouble. It's more the fact that I lost a file with confidential information. *sigh* I am sure I am the only one making a big deal about this. Anyways the only person that is to blame for this is me cuz I should have taken better care of the file.

Update: Found the file. It was in friends bag :) Hopefully that was enough of a scare to have me learn my lesson.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Just a quick note, this was mainly your case study's fault. Who knew that using a dedicated pocket for your file would actually be problematic...