Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Measure twice, cut once.

Surgery is officially the only class which has made our entire class squirm! Also probably not the best class to have after lunch.
Already one of my fears/things that make me really uneasy is the thought of anything piercing the skin... never mind seeing anything like that in real life!
Sure we're only talking about it right now but Dr. J had everyone squirming when giving an example of first intention healing... this is when the baby has crowned (during delivery) and the nurse performs an episiotomy without telling the woman (which apparently is common practice in Asia).
Well at least now I won't ever forget what the first intention healing is!

*measure twice, cut once comes from a comment I made when one of my class mates asked if the doctors could measure the head of the baby and the vaginal opening to see if an episiotomy is needed.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is why God made me a man : ) Couldn't handle the whole crowning thing I don't think..

Janelle said...

Crowning I think I can handle... cutting... not so much! OW!