Thursday, February 26, 2009

I have a favorite new smell!!

And it happens to be what my purse smells like! After school I swung by Gourmet Warehouse to pick up a couple special things for the cake I am making for Sophia's birthday. I am quite proud of myself because I didn't buy more then I had to... ok so I did a little bit more then I had to but it was all for the cake and it was all within reason. I bought the most perfect dark pink, light pink, beige and white birthday cake candles (what?!?! if I was going to make a pretty cake I don't want ghetto dollar store candles on my cake), pink sprinkles, fuschia food colouring, orange blossom water and vanilla beans. On my way home I kept getting whiffs of a beautiful smell and it wasn't until i got home and reached in to get my keys that my nose was assaulted with a big waft of vanilla and orange blossom! Mmmmmmmm :)
I really like the smell (and taste) of orange and vanilla, it remind me of cream sickle but I decided that for the cake change it up a little bit... because little girls normally aren't into whacky flavours, I'd just put a hint of orange blossom water in the custard to give it a bit of an orangy and floral flavor. That way the main flavour will be vanilla with a lingering floral flavour that adults (and maybe kids) can appreciate.

4 comments:

Donna said...

THANK YOU for that link. I actually was going to email you because I remembered you doing crazy cake-making stuff a while back and wanted to know where you bought that stuff. Not that I'm going to be making any cake-type things soon (have kitchen abilities of a cockroach -- I skuttle about and run away when the light is turned on) but I want some of their molds. :D

Do they sell fondant molds? I'm assuming so. Regardless, they're close to where I live, so ... I may have to go visit regardless. :)

Janelle said...

Oh you're going to have fun there! They do have molds... I was looking at them yesterday. I was trying to figure out what I could use them for but then I remembered that my itty bitty skinny piggy bank couldn't afford anything extra :) If ever you need a partner in crime let me know! I am always up for going to the Gourmet Warehouse... it's kind of like my own Disneyland :)

Anonymous said...

I am starting to get into baking and cooking now that I live with Jen. I am not able to make things from scratch just yet but eventually hopefully I will (You know the whole Nevis thing). I love to bake and it really sounds like you are a good baker. Hope it turned out as well as you hoped!!

Janelle said...

I'll be posting photos of the finished piece once I am done... We won't be celebrating for an other week or so. I just get excited about stuff like this :)