Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Changes Part II

At the beginning of the month I wrote about some changes that were going to take place in the massage therapy profession. On October 26th there was a meeting to discuss how we're going to adapt to these changes. We do not have a choice, Registered Massage Therapists (RMT's) will be able to go from regulated province to regulated province without writing other examinations or getting temporary licences. This will take effect in April 2009. So how do we, as a profession in the province adapt to these changes? Well it's the CMT*, our regulatory board, that gets to decide this. It is definitely not an easy position to be in and I do not envy them at this moment. I do, however, admire them because the decisions they will be making will impact many and they have and most likely will meet some resistance because of these decisions.
Though we do not know the outcome of the October 26th meeting, there was an e-mail that was sent out by the MTA** to several RMT's and student RMT's. This e-mail did not contain all the information for change and it sure ruffled a few feathers.
From what I've learned, it looks like the changes BC will have to make is to change the program from a 3 000 hour program to a 2 200 hour program. Ontario will make it mandatory for it's schools to be accredited in order to be registered. Both are huge changes but I think it's a happy medium.
Registering our profession nationally will be beneficial in many ways. Clients will have a larger selection of RMT's to chose from, all of which are very knowledgeable. As massage therapists, we will be able to move around with less hassle. Massage therapy is also seen as more of a luxury by having it more of it accessible, it'll be available for more therapeutic use. More massage therapists more competitive prices (hopefully... I am just guessing considering this is what happens with pretty much anything else in the economy).
On November 3rd the CMT will vote on how they should adapt to these changes. I am looking forward to hearing about what will happen to our profession. If we do go from a 3 000 hour program to a 2 200 hour program what does this mean for me?
By the end of level 500 I will most likely have 2 200 hours of education (I have not counted yet... but it feels about right, if not longer). Level 600 is mostly review. We learn a couple new things in professional development and arthrotides but those are the only two classes (to my knowledge) that we would be missing out on (even then we could most likely learn them in a really intense week or two). No level 600 means I would finish in mid January and could write my board exams in mid February. If I can write and be registered in February HOORAY! If not or if I fail, then nothing has changed. I take those 7 months to work and review so that I am ready for the boards in September***.
I am really excited to see the changes that are to come. I am not one who will be signing petitions, joining facebook groups, calling or sending e-mails to the CMT about the hour change (this seems to be one of the hottest topics). If anything you'll most likely find me sending them an e-mail of encouragement for the times to come. As far as I know, we're pretty lucky to be in the position that we're in and we have the power to either change it or fight it. Fighting it could lead to something really ugly and quite frankly, that is not what I am interested in.

*CMT - College of Massage Therapists
**MTA - Massage Therapy Association
*** Board examinations for RMT's are twice a year; in February and September. If you fail in February, you have to wait until September to wright again.

No comments: