Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Time to hit the gym

I've decided that it's time to go to the gym. Not because I'm fat (which is the reason most people start going) but because I think I need to build up my strength so that I can be stronger and have more stability for when I massage. As a massage therapist, we need a lot of upper and lower body strength and it wasn't until the past few weeks that I started to notice a change (not for the better) in my biomechanics. Also getting into better physical shape will decrease my chances of injury.
I tend to analyze myself (why I make certain decisions, what may influence them etc.) so of course I analyzed why I wanted to start going to the gym. My first question to myself was. "Do you think your fat?" And I was happy to answer no. I am not too sure when this shift happened but I am happy with my body image. I seem to have learnt to love the thunder thighs, the big calves, the broad shoulders and the soft tummy. I guess I've come to the realization that this is only my shell and as long as my shell is healthy, it's a damn good one to be living in.
So tonight I hit the gym. I'm a bit intimidated because I don't particularly like the gym. I feel like someones watching me and being I'm not very strong, this makes me feel self conscious. Of course this probably isn't true, people are there to better them selves, not look at other people. I am probably just self conscious but it's a feeling I get none the less. This is why I've chosen a gym that has a pool. The pool is the carrot at the end of the stick. After my work out I'll go for a swim and swim until my limbs are numb (I love that feeling).
Maybe I should bring my muscle flash cards so I can review my OINKAs (Origin, Insertion, Nerve, Kinesiology & Artery) while I am working specific muscles. Anyways we'll see how it goes :)

No comments: