Monday, October 15, 2007

I don't want to hear it!

I love my cat, and if it weren't for her right now I am not too sure I would know what to do. She's always there for a cuddle (even if she doesn't want to sometimes, she'll let me hug her for a bit then she'll squirm away) and she's a constant source of comfort. Since we found out she's been sick, we've been giving her anything she wants. She's been really happy and hasn't been too much trouble except for the fact that she's got the runs. Most of the time she can make it to the litter box but at least two to three times a week she can't make it.
After coming home from work today, I was in quite the good mood. While changing I found a present left behind by Miss Mew. Initially it was a bit frustrated that I had to clean an other poop (cuz I am the only one that cleans up after her even if it's others that find her presents) but then I thought... what's worse cleaning this smelly poop or not having a cat. The later was worse, so I cleaned the poop. While checking my e-mail afterwards my brother came downstairs and told me about how he was just watching TV and then he smelled something and realized the Minette made "an explosive smelly shit" in the living room. For some reason Dad decided to clean this one and when I went upstairs, he told me that we should probably discuss what we want to do about Minette being she's shitting everywhere. "Is it time to put her to sleep?" He said. Ok so today was a bad day, I don't think we should because she had a bad poop day! I don't know if I am being selfish or not reasonable.
Just now Dad came downstairs and asked me if I still needed the carpet cleaner and then sat down next to me and said "I am sure you've given some thought about how you want to remember Minette..." I started to cry and told him I didn't want to talk about it. I don't know what to think or do. I really don't think we need to put her down now. She's not suffering. Her butt might be a bit sore from all of the pooping but she's not suffering. I believe that when she's suffering, I think that would be a good time. But not now. I'll clean as many poops a day as she makes. I don't care.
Dad's a good guy... Minette's just my cat pooping in his house. So I can understand why he'd be a little bit more ready to get rid of her. Anyways hockey is in 40 minutes so hopefully that will stop the tears and change my ideas a bit. A hug would be nice.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

We had to put down my dog when she started leaving "presents" all over the house... but we had extenuating circumstances: My mother had a six month old baby learning to crawl right where the poop kept ending up. I didn't even live at home anymore (I was 22) so there wasn't much I could do about it, and my apartment was no pets.

But I know what you mean -- she wasn't in any pain, and other than the fact that she shat on the floor all the time ... she was just fine.

Taking her in to get put down was one of the more depressing things I've ever had to do. :/

Anonymous said...

Having had to put my last cat down, I know it's hell even thinking about the possibility. I was lucky in that my cat was 15, she only had maybe 2 weeks left to live, and was in pain; so there was no decision to make.

My stepdad had his last dog put down only because Mom was away at a physical rehab centre in Vancouver for a few months, and he couldn't handle taking care of the dog while she was gone. It was old and senile and was peeing on the floor, and if it was facing away from you in a room it would suddenly think it was alone and get scared and start barking. Must've been deaf (and lost the sense of smell too). Mom had managed to take care of it only because she was retired and always home. It was too bad, but for the best, I think; especially as my mom has rheumatoid arthritis and taking care of a sick dog is not physically easy.

I'm wondering if it would be possible for you to keep your cat locked in the basement, say, while you're at school/work, so that would limit where it might have accidents that your parents would have to deal with? I'm just wondering if they'd be open to that sort of compromise.

Janelle said...

Thakns for the comments Gill & Donna - I think we're going to have to leave her in a certain area while we are out of the house. The only problem is everything at our place is carpet (except the kitchen and upstairs washroom). All the time's she's pooped is when we've been home as well (well when my brother was home). So I don't really know if it will make a difference. I'm taking this a day at a time as I don't really know how else to deal with it.