Tuesday, October 2, 2007

Singing in the Rain

Well it was my heart doing the singing, not me. Today was my day to run errands and I had such a fantastic day. I managed to get everything done and then some! I even found Mum's birthday present (which is always quite a feat because Mum is someone that has everything and buying anything for her is virtually impossible). Because everything went so well, I had time to spare before I had to meet with a client. So instead of taking the bus, I walked in the rain and stopped at a little coffee shop for lunch. After I finished my lunch, I just sat there, watched the rain fall and people watched. It was great. I haven't taken the time to sit in a cafe and people watch since I was in Australia (which was 3 years ago). I forgot how wonderful it is to take the time to yourself. I have to say, initially it was hard to sit still but after a while, I didn't want to leave. I think I am going to have to do that a bit more often. I ended up being caught in the rain, but I really didn't care. I felt at ease and that was something that I haven't felt for quite a while.
I think this new found ease is due to all of the emotional work that I have been doing. Initially I was very caught up in working hard for my future. I wanted to set myself up in the best way that I could to have a family, a house, a business and all that stuff. The white picket fence all American dream kind of deal (not quite the all American dream but to some, that's how it may have seemed). It wasn't until I met Eric where I was really challenged. He marched to the beat of his own drum... for some people that's a bad thing. For me, it was something that I quite admired (well I came to admire it, initially I thought he was a bit strange... but I've come to appreciate different). I guess while I was with him I learnt and am still learning to let go, enjoy now, and the rest will fall into place. I no longer worry about the whole family and house thing. I still think about the business, but I'm not letting it consume me. I am a lot more interested in enjoying where I am in life right now. The things that I want will fall into place eventually.

No comments: