Thursday, January 22, 2009

Living far away from family is tough. I've found it harder and harder as my cousins are starting to get married and have children. I have also found it hard because I know that Grand Maman and Grand Papa are getting older and the list of health issues are piling up. It makes me nervous.
I learnt with Grand Papa's passing that it's very important to tell your grand parents that you love them because you never know when they will be gone. For a long time after he passed away, I carried a lot of guilt over not spending more time with him the last time I was in Winnipeg. Eventually I got over that but I have learned how precious my grand parents are. So I really value the 3 that I have left. I love them and I tell them every day (though mostly through thoughts and good energy).
This morning when I woke up, I went upstairs and Maman and Papa were watching TV. Maman and Papa never watch TV, especially at 10 to 6 in the moring. I went to see what they were watching and it was the video that Papa is making for his parents. I sat there for a while and watched with them. It's amazing! For Grand Maman's 75th Birthday they rented a school bus (because that's how large the clan is) and took us down memory lane. They visited places like the house Grand Papa helped build, the school my Papa went to and all of these very important places that were part of Grand Maman's life. Papa was inspired by this video and between the clips of the tour are photos of my ancestors, of Grand Papa and Grand Maman when they were young, old video clips of the clan having pic nicks in the park on a Sunday. It makes me tear up to see such a beautiful video. Photos of Grand Papa while he was in the war tug at my heart strings and make me proud to have such a strong and wonderful Grand Papa.
Then I remember that Grand Papa is becoming more of a frail old man that is still wonderful, full of love and smiles but he's getting older. So is Grand Maman. Grand Maman on Mom's side is going to live until she's 1000 so I am not too worried about her. This has got me thinking... maybe I should go to Winnipeg this summer. We'll see.

No comments: