Friday, June 20, 2008

RIP hand held mixer

Tonight is baking night for test cake #2: Chocolate and Lavender cake.
I'm quite tired from work but in good spirits so I figure that baking won't be too difficult despite a full 9 hours at work today. Because of my laziness, I decide not to half the recipe (because that would require converting cups into milliliters and then dividing it by two. Der!). To start I need to blend the sugar and butter. I look in the fridge... no butter, only margarine. It works but it's an insult to my baking. Butter tastes so much better... margarine is just... not as good.
With that dealt with I am happily singing and dancing while I cook until I realize that I need 6 egg whites... and I have 4 eggs. Oops! After a quick venture to the several corner stores, I realize everything is closed. Shucks! Anything that would be open later is a bus ride away and I am too lazy for that. So I figure I'd improvise. 4 egg whites and 2 egg yolks. It's not as if I have to whip it into a meringue (which you can not to do with yolks) so it should work. I've got my dry and wet ingredients ready to blend into my margarine (blasphemy!) and sugar mixture.
I start to blend my mixture with the hand held mixer when POW! There's a gun shot like sound in the kitchen. After peeling myself off the ceiling, I give a quick glance around the kitchen and everything looks fine. No smoke, no fire, no explosion. WTF! After finishing my blending, I turn off the mixer, add more dry and wet ingredient and start the mixer up again. It pops and crackles and an other POW! Then it dies. OH NOOO!!! I finish mixing by hand.
Well the cake is done and despite all of the mishaps, the batter tastes amazing! This is good news because that usually means the cake will be stellar as well! Youpii! The exploding mixer may also be a blessing in disguise... Maybe this means I can finally buy the KitchenAid Mixer that I've wanted so badly for the past couple of years... I get giddy just thinking about it!
Anyways I think this is a clear sign that I should go to bed early and leave the ganache and buttercream for tomorrow morning. Not too sure how I am going to make buttercream without a mixer... I have a whisk... and redbulls... that should work :)

No comments: