Saturday, June 7, 2008

A chef in the making...

Being Mum and Dad aren't here I've got the run of the kitchen... and being I am not home alone, Mark and I have been cooking quite a bit. Usually it sucks to cook for one so it helps to have company. It's also a form of mild competition too :)
Over the past couple of days we've managed to cook up a storm. Though yesterday I impressed myself. We were going to make the usual (usual for me) garlic butter prawns until Mark suggested that we cook em Cajun. I'd never done that so I figured why not. After finding the Cajun magic spices in the cupboard, we started to debate the best way to make a Cajun sauce. Mark tried to make a sauce by mixing mayo, garlic and Cajun spice. The results... not so good. I gave it a try by reducing some milk and Cajun spice (to infuse the milk with the spice flavor), thicken it all with a bit of corn starch, a couple chunks of butter, add a bit of salt and 3/4 of a lime and... hot damn that's one nice Cajun sauce! It was even better once we let the shrimp (which were cooked with lots of garlic and olive oil) chill in the sauce for a bit. What was even better was that there was some sauce left over so we dipped some bread in it and it was amazing! Hooray me!
So far, I've discovered the wonders of cooking a fantastic Channa Masala, putting together a great portobello burger with "killer guacamole" (courtesy of Mark), making cinnamon buns from scratch (and without the bread maker) and making Cajun shrimp. I love having the run of the kitchen! It's great. It's also quite fun to cook as opposed to bake. I'm also learning to cook without a measuring cup. Being with baking you have to measure almost everything, it takes a while to figure out that with cooking, that's not the case. It's more of a "dum dee dum", as Dad calls it.
Anyways neither of us have plans for tonight so we'll see what kind of delicacies we can come up with tonight.

No comments: