Monday, June 16, 2008

Get High Naturally, Climb A Tree!

Car Free Day - Commercial Drive!
As with many other events, I got this invite on facebook. I figured, hey, why not... could be fun! So after a delicious breakfast and some lazing around in the sun, Andrew and I set off to check out this Car Free Day on Commercial Drive. I'd never heard of it but apparently it was all over the city. There were celebrations on Main street, some in Kits but I've always loved Commercial Drive so that's where we went.
The sights, sounds and smells of this festival was enough to excite the senses. The vibe was amazing! It's always fantastic to see little kids and parents running around having fun. There was so much music, dancing, food and celebration. I was thrilled to see that they had a section called the Healing Garden where all of these health professionals had tents set up. Most of it was alternative health practitioners such as energy healers, meditation, yoga, massage and other modalities that I didn't even know about. I picked up a few business cards and am looking forward to trying out some of these different forms of therapy. What intrigued me the most was this tent where they were doing AcroYoga! Apparently they have practices on Tuesday nights at Jerrico Beach so I am going to check that out.
There's something about dancing in the streets that always makes me smile and lifts my spirits. The people that were at the festival were amazing. They all were so earthy and compassionate it was refreshing to be surrounded by such like minded people. What I found quite interesting was the contrast between the people on Commercial Drive and those at Metrotown. Being the 20 bus was being rerouted because of the festival and most people were leaving the festival, Andrew and I decided to take the skytrain to Metrotown then catch a bus from there to go home. Once we got to Metrotown, I found it strange. We'd come from a place of happiness, celebration, natural beauty, sharing and community and now, here we were back in a type of rat race where fake beauty, consumerism and machoism reigned supreme. Polar opposites. The energy was definitely different and I certainly preferred the one of Commerical Drive. This made me realize that when I move, I'd like to live somewhere where there's a sense of community and respect for the earth (more of a "hippy" area, less... yaletown/coal harbour).

No comments: