Saturday, June 14, 2008

Feeling like mother goose

The cake making has begun!
Yesterday I made the cake, simple syrup and custard for the cake... that leaves the buttercream and the fondant to make this morning. After a last minute change of plans (making the earl grey cake into an Orange Dulce cake - which is a flavor of orange, jasmine, bergamot and vanilla black tea, it's amazing!) I started baking. Though I haven't had the opportunity to taste the cooked cake, the fragrances while making the cake were stunning and unique. It made me giddy :P
The simple syrup is delicious too (I was able to try that without there being a giant chomp mark in it). However I think instead of keeping the tea in the pot while making the syrup, I am going to make tea, then make the syrup out of the tea. It'll make for a subtler flavor and it'll taste more like orange dulce and less like black tea.
The custard took forever! I'd never made custard before and I just about fell asleep while making it. You see, you have to stir it constantly while it's over the double boiler or else it turns into this lumpy goo (or I could imagine it would so I stirred like mad! I didn't want to have to restart). The end product was a velvety taste explosion!!! I had to try not to eat it all. It's flavor is vanilla (flavored with vanilla bean) and orange. It tastes like cream cicle!!!
This morning I sit here, with two eggs nestled in my sweatshirt pockets... why are they there? Well I am trying to speed up the "2 large egg whites at room temperature for 30 minutes" process. I feel like mama goose. This cake being my baby. I am so excited about all of this it makes me sleepless at night. Thinking up different combinations, trying to improve on the flavors that I've already created...
All of this has made me wonder. Why AM I taking massage therapy? Apparently I have a huge passion for baking and I have the patience too! I'm good at what I do. So why not? Bah! Well maybe I'll be the baking massage therapist. Do both part time. If I worked as a pastry chef, I'd miss interacting with people, if I worked as a massage therapist (full time), I'd miss having some alone time. It's kinda strange when you're an introvert extrovert.
See I am definitely an extrovert that grew up in an introverted family. Mum, Dad and Stephy and all introverts so I definitely have some introverted traits. I guess this is a good thing because I can get along with pretty much anyone. The down side, introverts can sometimes be too quiet and extroverts can be too loud. Ah well :)
Anyways I've gotten distracted! I've got to get back to the task at hand! 3 hours to whip up these two recipes and finish the cake off! I'll post pics if I remember to take some.

No comments: