Tuesday, September 4, 2007

Compassion

That last entry I'd written a few weeks ago during one of my breaks... actually I kinda wrote it in class while partially paying attention to another teacher. The Internet connection at school is finicky, therefore I had it saved as a word document and it wasn't until today that I remembered to post it.
I've been meaning to get this project started sooner but so far I've only ended up with snippets of thoughts and feelings from charged topics from the past classes on bits of paper. Run on sentence much... yup but I'm a run on sentence procrastinating type of gal :)
One of the things that we've been focusing on during our PD classes are the teachings of the Dalai Lama. Now I don't know much about Buddhism, therefore I will not claim that I do. We're not going into so much detail about Buddhism, but rather about compassion and the Dalai Lama. One of the excerpt that's plastered all over our handouts is the following:

"Compassion means not being able to stand the enslavement of others to suffering without doing something about it."

This is a quote that is quite charged for me and it goes back to one of the questions that we were asked: "Are you a compassionate therapist?" This is a question that I've thought a lot about and finally tonight I've written about it, however I didn't write about it in my blog because it's WAY too personal and I would feel naked if I exposed myself that way on here.
The conclusion that I came to however was that, at this point in time in my life, I am not a 100% compassionate therapist. When the dust settles, I will reassess myself and my compassion and I will see if there are changes that can be made. So instead of going by the above quote, I will go by the following (also a quote from our handouts which are excerpt from How to Practice: The way to a Meaningful Life by His Holiness the Dalai Lama Translated and Edited by Jeffrey Hopkins, Ph.D):
"The main principle of Buddhist mortality is to help others and, if that is not possible, at least do no harm."
There were an other few things that I wanted to write about in this entry but I've forgotten... so I'll write when I remember them later on.

No comments: