Friday, September 26, 2008

Exhale...

And everything will be alright.

The past two days with Justin have been awesome. He held me while I cried about Minette on Wednesday night and had all the patience in the world while I told him over and over again about what happened at the vet. I don't know why but I had to keep replaying the whole thing. I would cry and he would cuddle. It made me feel better but it did not make it go away.
Thursday while he was at work, I did a bit of retail therapy. A new coat, new purse, pretty wool shirt type thing, pyjama pants... etc. Fun stuff but I don't think Justin will leave me in Bellisfair for 5 hours ever again :P It's funny, he such a simple man. I thought I was simple but compared to him I feel like a materialistic whore :) It's ok he seems to put up with it. I love him for it too.
Today we went to Mt. Baker. It was super pretty! There's an other mountain, Mt. Shsomethingsomething was much prettier. I will have photos to post in a couple of days. We found some wild berries and ate them! They were delicious! They turned our tongues purple. They were even more delicious when hikers told us that they were actually wild blueberries and not poisonous like I thought they might be (yeah I ate em aways! They were so yummy!). I would have liked to hike more, however it was getting dark and we met Katie (Justin's roommate) and her father for dinner. Now we're just taking it easy before passing out.
I miss Minette. Every once in a while I think about her and that I will never be able to hold her again. Her familiar smell would never comfort me again... but then I think of what the vet said about animals behaviors when they are suffering. Then I thought of how similar those behaviors were of Minette. She sure was a fighter. I want to send a thank you card to the vet. He was super patient and sensitive to what we were going through. We were fortunate. While he was injecting Minette with the sleepy time solution, he stopped half way through, pet her on the head and then injected the other half of the syringe. Sure it only took half and she was off to dream land. I thought this was a very sensitive gesture. It can't be easy to see families cry over their pets and you're the one to kill them. Anyways I felt fortunate to have the vet we did. He was good and he made the whole process a bit easier (if that was at all possible). Man! Going home will be strange. Already I had to do a double take when I saw my camera bag on my bed... I thought it was Minette. Luckily Justin will be there. Despite all of this going on, I am lucky to have a man like him.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am sorry about Minette. She was a lovely cat and I enjoyed my time with her at your place. It takes a lot of inner strength to do what you did and end her suffering. Don't feel bad about how much you're hurting now; I've known a lot of good people who have had to lose cherished pets, and they all grieved for weeks, months, years.

I had to say goodbye to a cat I'd had from age 9 to 24, and I felt a huge loss. When I got Shebang a few years later, it wasn't a coincidence that she was the same colouring as Sam.

I'm glad you have someone who cares for you who you can cry to.

Janelle said...

Thank you Gillian, your words mean a lot.