Tuesday, September 16, 2008

3 weeks away

and I am slowly getting myself ready to tackle the last 2 terms. It sure isn't easy... going back to do something that you don't particularly want to do. All signs point to "finish school and become an RMT" so that's the direction I am going in. Lately there have been a couple of things that have made me go... "hey I might actually enjoy working as a massage therapist once I finish school"... the most recent one being my visit to my own massage therapist. I decided to pay her a visit when my headache of 4 days didn't go away. Yes, I was silly and I think I managed to give myself my 2nd concussion (first one being when I was surfing in Tofino a couple of years ago... someone surfed into my head. Ow!). This time no great story to accompany the injury. Just add me, a single bed and flopping down on the bed = concussion #2. Yeah I am used to flopping down on a queen size bed that is not near a wall instead of a single bed that is pushed up against a wall. Ow fucking ow!
Anyways Jana is amazing! She does some fantastic work and has me working at 90%. Initially I was very focused on what she was doing, breathing with every release and carefully timing my breath to every uncomfortable trigger point release (yep I don't like those, especially around the head and neck). After a while I found myself drifting to that familiar place: teetering between consciousness and unconsciousness. It's a blissful state and it's something that I would like to be able to offer my patients/guests/whatever you want to call them. Also having the ability to free someone from their pain, even for a short while is amazing.
So now I know that I have to make an effort to enjoy massage therapy for what it is and try not to let the politics of it (and mostly of school) cloud my decisions and enjoyment for the profession. Today I find myself looking forward to going back to school. Hopefully it'll stay like this until May.

No comments: