Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Olecranon Process Deep in Cake

One of my two helpers... Minette :) she was a sweetie and kept me company the entire day. My other helper was mother nature... she dried my dishes and sped up the thawing process of the cherries.
The first of many text messages from friends and family wishing good luck on the cake.
The Boy came over last night for a quick bite to eat at All India Sweets. Then, not wanting to part, we decided to work together on the structure within the cake to help support it. It was a bit of a mess... the plastic was harder to cut then anticipated, it ended up breaking. Having to find something else, we went to Superstore to try to find a replacement. Success! :) I have yet to construct the base but now I have all of the materials.


Rochelle was a sweetheart and found a KitchenAid mixer for me to use. It's amazing! I am going to get one for myself and name it Herbie (like the car). The buttercream making went fantastically and I was successful at all 4 and a half batches (as opposed to the 12 I thought I might need... bit of a miscalculation :) ).
The 12' dark chocolate lavender cake before it got covered with buttercream. The dark chocolate lavender ganache is hiding between the layers :) I was SO happy when this monster turned out the way it did! I had never baked a 12' cake before and was a bit afraid that my center would be uncooked while the outside would be cooked... but no! Absolute perfection!
The 10' Orange Dulce cake covered in buttercream. I impressed myself at every step of this cake! That almost looks professional!
First oops of the cake. The French Vanilla cake with rose vanilla custard and cherry compote... the compote is supposed to go UNDER the custard... it makes for a more solid cake. Instead it's on top. Oops! Ah well :) No one will know (well except anyone who reads this). Really not a big deal :)

Taking a quick break now to clean up and get ready for fondant madness! The Boy is also coming over to have lunch with me (I haven't eaten all day... he makes sure I eat) and keep me company a bit while I fiddle with the fondant. He makes me smile :P and gives me butterflies! YAY! More photos to come at the end of today!


*Blog title came from Darla. She sent me an e-mail this morning asking if I was olecranon process deep in cake... it made me laugh cuz the olecranon process is the sticky out bit of your elbow. Ha ha! :)

No comments: