Wednesday, August 27, 2008

NatureNude


It took me a while to decide what I wanted to do with the nude photos that Matteo took on Sunday. They are really pretty and I am quite proud of them so I wanted them to be shown... but then again I was a bit concerned about my professional image.
Here's the tricky bit with the profession that I am getting myself into. It has a past reputation of being slightly sexual and as health professionals, we have been trying really hard to shake that reputation. In the past 10 years there have been huge positive changes. Because of this sensitivity, those in the profession can be quite over sensitive about boundaries when it comes to nudity.
This is where things get confusing for me... I am a student, soon to be a massage therapist. I am also an exhibitionist. So what to do? I only do it in good taste because I believe that the body is art and is beautiful. It is not something to be ashamed of and nude is completely natural. It's us at our most primal. I find that too many women are concerned about what they look like (big thighs, jiggly arms, small breasts... etc etc etc). They should find the beauty in what they have and love themselves and the casing that carries them around every day.
Heck, we owe a lot to our bodies. Think of how much we put it through every day. The time our bodies have healed themselves and how we can express ourselves through movement.
I am naked as a way to give thanks to my body and to myself for putting up with me. I am also naked to show others that bodies don't have to be perfect to be beautiful. That our flaws are what make us unique and wonderful. That just because our breasts are small and our thighs are big, we are still beautiful feminine creatures.
I am not too sure how this will affect my professional image but I hope that it doesn't and that those that are associated with me understand where I am coming from. I guess now I just wait for the reaction. Hopefully the world is ready for something like this.

No comments: