Thursday, June 14, 2007

Twinkle Toes


Twinkle toes is the nick name for both Ben and Jason, two of our teachers. The girls found it rather entertaining that the guys would do a little dance or a few steps every once in a while, so this is how they got their nickname. I always thought it was quite exuberant of them and never really saw myself becoming a twinkle toe. But lo and behold I have. I think it was the two days of salsa in a row that did it to me.
Here I was making dinner tonight (mum and dad were outside gardening, brother was downstairs at the computer) and I was dancing around the kitchen while I was cooking. I've also caught myself doing a little step or two when I am walking or in class. It's got me now.
Yesterday was a blast. I initially went for the spins/turn drills but for some reason that didn't last so long. Within a short period of time, they pulled back the curtain separating both rooms and we were incorporated into the mixer (dance where people of all levels can come to practice... almost like a dance but with less pressure). Most guys had partners and there were a few girls standing around. I went up to this one guy and asked him to dance. Very bold of me, usually I'm the one with my back up against the wall. I'm still surprised that I did that because I'm a very beginner and well I had no idea what he was.
We danced and I was able to keep up. I am sure it wasn't perfect but I just remember having a good time. He tried some interesting moves (the photo of one of the moves he tried, that is not him and that is not me)... it actually worked! I don't know whether I looked like that but I remember being in that position... After I went from partner to partner (it was fun that people were still switching, it gave variety) and it was really fun to feel the different ways guys lead. Most of them didn't care that I was a beginner. I either followed or fumbled and caught up. I feel like I did quite well. After the first dance, I saw my teachers Jason and Ben across the room. It took me 3 dances to get towards them to say hello. I think it's because I'm a giant with my heels... people want to dance with the giant or something like that :P I don't know... anyways it was good fun. It wasn't weird dancing with either Ben or Jason, until Jason mentioned the oral practical that he was going to be the examiner for. It just brought it all together. Oh well. They are both really good dancers and I'm quite intimidated by Jason (maybe it's because he's taller then me, even in my shoes). At about 10:30 I had to leave because I was feeling really nauseous (too much spinning). It took all of my strength to not throw up on the bus on my way home (I had dinner less then an hour before class and I had eaten too much... and if any one's seen salsa, there's ALOT of spins!!!). I was a bit distracted on my way home and was looking at a sprinkler... then when I looked where I was walking, I was about a step away from stepping on a skunk!!! Luckily it was a nice skunk and it didn't spray me. It just waddled away and I kept going (my heart beating a bit faster though).
Today's exam went well I think. I felt confidant going in and I had a case scenario that I felt comfortable with. Jason was my examiner and it wasn't awkward.
I got to salsa class at 6, an hour before class was to start. I immediately started dancing in one of the rooms, practicing spins (for some reason I'm not so good at these... I tend to drift). Soon other students joined me and we got quite a bit of practice in. The lesson was good fun. We learnt a closer hold now which is nice but some guys in the class give me a weird vibe and the last thing I want to be is closer to them. Anyways I suck it up. Can't start to get picky. Well it's bed time now. Early start tomorrow morning.

2 comments:

Frank said...

Salsa 2 days in a row? you're a gonna be a salsa dancing queen soon! Glad to hear you're having fun

Janelle said...

Yeah see I saw this couple dancing at the mixer and they were SO good!!! So yeah my goal is to be able to dance like the girl. She was fantastic!