Wednesday, May 27, 2009

"Moderation in all things is a mantra we've been hearing a lot about of late. It is healthy. It is sane. It is morally correct. It is also very boring.
I much prefer people with passions. There is nothing more exciting than watching someone fall so deeply in love - with food, an object, a way of life - that they throw caution to the wind and follow their heart."

- Ruth Reichl, Editor in Chief of Gourmet Magazine

I've thrown caution to the wind and I'm following my heart :) While this summer should be jam packed with studying for board examinations, I've taken on two projects that I am totally stoked about!!! I will be making two wedding cakes! Both in the month of August (so I have time to prepare... fiouf!). One will be for Jennifer and Brandon (their wedding is August 1st... Congrats guys!). While the other, Stephane and Dasha's wedding, will be on August 15th.
There's always a certain amount of nervous energy that comes with taking on such a project. It's huge and it's for people that are very special so I really don't want to mess up. I know that I won't but there are always those thoughts (like I had when creating the Grasshoppa cake) that the cake will spontaneously combust the day of the event while on display. Yeah, I had nightmares about that the entire week before the Grasshoppa grad. In the end, it was fine and I couldn't have asked for a better outcome.
Jennifer and Brandon's wedding will be something that's quite unique. I've never met them, just read their blog and I'll be flying out to Regina to make their wedding cake :) That's pretty neat if you ask me! I look forward to meeting them (and 100 of their closest friends) on August 1st.
Stephane and Dasha's wedding will be... well I am excited for it! My little brother is getting married!!!! :) It's hard to believe yet so easy to accept because Dasha lives with us now and I see the love that they have for one an other. Why question something that seems so easy and natural? They're going to have a nice private backyard wedding with only 30 people or so. A lot of our closest friends and family will be there so I am looking forward to reuniting with some of them :) We're going to have an other celebration in Winnipeg (just 4 days before I write the board examinations!) so that will be with our family from the Peg.
Anyways, one summer, two cakes, two amazing couples! I love it! It's going to be great to spend the next couple of months creating test cakes and wonderful creations to excite the taste buds of those that I am making cakes for (except for Jennifer and Brandon... I'll be their taste buds :) And yes, I am really super picky and finicky when it comes to the flavors of my cakes so I think I'll be the toughest judge.).

2 comments:

jhawke said...

yay! can't wait to have you here! it's so awesome that you're up for the adventure of our little farm wedding. you're amazing.

xoxox

BCWB said...

Nice to have the thought of someone taking so much pride in something even without meeting us. I am excited to meet you in person and even more excited to taste your skill. All the best on studying for the board examinations and sorry I have fallen so far behind on your blog..