Sunday, May 24, 2009

Getting in touch with the earth

Having time off is so awesome! I've been able to catch up with friends that I haven't seen in a long time and I've also been able to have some muchly needed me time. Today I spent the better part of this morning gardening with Mom. It was so refreshing to spend some time with my hands in the dirt. I can't remember the last time I played with bugs (ok so on Wednesday night I took a earth worm off the sidewalk so he wouldn't bake in the sunshine). It felt so normal and right to have my hands covered in dirt, digging holes and planting new flowers. It also felt right to be taking care of something that was so simple. Inspired by the beautiful rhubarb we have in the garden, I made a golden butter pound cake with a strawberry rhubarb compote for desert. Though I could have put more rhubarb in the compote, it was delicious! Because I have egg whites left over from the pound cake, I am going to make a Pavlova topped with mango and fresh yogurt for desert tonight (the mango mixture will have lime and cardamom to add some warmth and zest to it).
It feels so right to be in the kitchen again and getting back to what I love to do. Now don't get me wrong, I haven't just been slacking :) I've dropped off some resumes, cleaned my room and am chasing around financial things (student loans start up shortly!). So though it may seem like all I've been doing is play, it hasn't. There has just been much more time for me to do things that I actually enjoy doing. Oh and I graduated :) last Wednesday was the ceremony. There should be a blog post about that but I am waiting for the photos from the photographer (not impressed! I can't decide if that should be an other post...).

No comments: