Thursday, June 4, 2009

Starting up

So I've got myself a career :) I am not too sure how it happened because it all happened so quickly! I'd compare my life since graduation to running down a sand dune. You start at the peak, looking down and you start running, slowly at first. Eventually one foot keeps falling in front of an other, you pick up pace, the path unsure and your footing unstable. Somehow you manage to keep going. Your legs stay in motion, your feet keep stepping one foot in front of an other. Surprisingly you don't fall. Laughing all the way at how exhilarating it is.
Last Wednesday I met Darla at Solarice after work. I e-mailed my resume in a couple of weeks ago with no response. I decided to drop in and say hello to the manager. I ended up with an interview :) Thursday I had my hands on interview. Friday I did my training and I worked Saturday and Sunday. It's a totally awesome place! I am so glad I got the job because it was my number one choice. It's got a great mix of spa type treatments and clinical treatments (all while remaining in the spa setting). It's also located on 4th in Kits which is a great place to be.
Now all of this is great but there's one thing that I have yet to get used to. I only work when I have clients. Otherwise I am on call. I know that as a bodyworker (yep, this is what we're called when we're not registered) it will be slow to start building a client base. I am ok with that and fully anticipated it. It is, however, difficult when you're so eager to work to not have any work. For example, Saturday, I had one client. For the rest of my shift I read, got bored of reading, had a nap in the sunshine, walked along 4th and went in ALL of the shops (I didn't buy anything!). I even talked to the red cross people that were selling subscriptions because I was bored. Today I had no clients. I stayed home, on call, and cleaned all day.
I've started to tackle my school stuff. I'm not studying yet, I am just sorting through my huge piles of notes, trying to organize them into some kind of order. It's stressful though. As soon as I start to look at school things I start feeling blah and want to procrastinate. I know it's a bad idea though because summer is going to be crazy busy and so I need to start early. I am hoping that by the end of today I'll have sorted though everything, cleared my desk and started on my study schedule. Knowing that I'll have some down time at work, I'll bring my study things with me. That'll help pass the time. The beautiful weather helps too because I can sit in a little park and study (most coffee shops don't want you sitting in there for 6 hours). Ok, time to go tackle the piles of class notes! Maybe I should just recycle them all :) hee hee... nawe I can do that in September!

No comments: