Thursday, June 4, 2009

Picking new sports

So I've got all of this free time right? And I can't spend it ALL in my hammock (especially with 30 plus weather... too hot! not that I'm complaining. Just sayin') so I've decided to pick up an other outdoor sport. I've contemplated skimboarding because I love being by the water. The only down side... it looks like a recipe for busting my wrists. I've learnt that anything that can injure my wrists is most likely not a good idea. Without my hands I'd be a pretty terrible massage therapist. So... what are other options? The answer.... Slacklining!
Some of you may wonder what on earth is slacklining?! Well I wondered too! I've seen people do it but I had no clue what it was called. Essentially it's a slightly springy nylon webbing string/rope type thing attached between two trees. You then balance on it and walk back and forth. Kind of like tightrope walking but without the rope being rigid. It's more like walking on a very skinny trampoline. Anyways. I have terrible balance so this should be highly entertaining :) There are two trees in front of my house so I'll be able to practice on my quiet street. Hopefully not too many people will watch me fall. If they do, here's to hoping that I fall gracefully and that I don't look like a tightrope walking elephant.
I also figured this would be a great way to meet those in the neighborhood. Just yesterday I met Heidi, a young woman across the street and two doors down from me (she's planting a garden and I'm giving her some of our extra tomato plants... it's fun to get to do neighborly things!). Next to her is a house with 5 guys and 1 girl (all younger, all going to the college near by). Next door to where I live are two guys, also going to the college near by. Otherwise it's all young families and old people. So if we end up getting all of the youngins out that would be cool. Slacklining is also something that more then one person can do. It could also be quite fun after a couple of beers :) Anyways we'll see if anyone else comes out to play but in the mean time it'll just be me.
Oh! And I could bring it to Hawaii! I don't know if there will be much room in my backpack. It's already nearly full with my hammock, yoga mat and now slackline. Cloths are overrated anyways :)

No comments: