Thursday, April 2, 2009

A nudge in the right direction

I'm all giddy now :P I just got a call from Paula Jasper, a RMT who works in the maternity ward and with complicated births (also the one who taught an intro class to massage when I was in grade 11, which was part of what sparked all of this).
A couple of months ago, I was at Liam's (hairdresser) salon and met a lady who worked in the maternity ward at Women's Hospital. She suggested that I volunteer there. Initially I was intimidated by the idea but heck! a lot intimidates me initially but then I just go for it. And so I told her I would be interested. She gave me her card, I called her a couple of weeks later. She referred me to Paula, the one who is more familiar with massage in the maternity ward. I left Paula a message about volunteering there and didn't get a response. Paula is an ultra busy RMT and new mommy so I kind of figured that if there wasn't an opportunity available that I wouldn't get a call back.
Until tonight! There still isn't an opportunity but she's conducting a research study of the effects of massage on pregnant ladies... I think it's while they're in labour too. Which is super ultra cool! She offered that I could shadow her if I wanted! I just about peed myself. Ok, not really. But it's a very exciting prospect! We both agreed that we should wait until I am finished school before I do any shadowing. Focus on my upcoming graduation. Good idea.
Anyways it's been the nudge that I need. Over the past month or so I've been quite unenthused about school. I am loving all of the clinical time we're getting but the class time is quite trying. It's so exhausting that by the time I get home the last thing I want to do is touch anything school related. We'll see what the next couple of weeks bring. 6 weeks go to and I'll be all finished! Time is going to fly!

No comments: