Monday, April 27, 2009

MLD Therapy 1

Hooray! So I passed manual lymph drainage therapy 1 yesterday! This was a continuing education course that I decided to take while I was still in school. I really enjoyed manual lymph drainage and was wowed at the effects that it had when I used it in clinical practice. Seeing the value in the work that I was doing, I decided to further my education in it. Why did I decide to tackle this in my last 4 weeks at school? Well, that's a good question :P
It made sense to take it while the information was still fresh (I took the basic course in January 2009). I also figured that if I took it later, I would be working, therefore I would have to take time off work (which means disappointed clients and no income). The course is usually held in Victoria which would mean I would have to pay for my own accommodation, food and all that jazz. So financially it made sense. The instructor teaching the course, Koby Blanchfield, was my instructor for Basic MLD and I really liked her teacher style and the whack load of patience she had for all of us rookies. Anyways because I knew that my learning style worked with her teaching style that was also an influencing factor.
Anyways I am darned proud of myself for having completed the course. It's a finicky technique because there is a specific sequence with a specific amount of repetitions and a specific stroke direction with a pressure and release phase. So it takes a while to perfect. Luckily we were just 4 in the course so Koby watched us like a hawk! She's amazing at what she does too. I mean I knew this but when I was doing part of my practical examination on her, she told me to make the movement with my arms and less with my wrists (I was working on her face and she had her eyes closed... so this was amazing to me!).
Well I am darn glad that I took that and now that I've had a good night sleep I feel like I can tackle the world again. Tomorrow is the start of our last week of instruction at Utopia Academy! Next week are our final exams. It's all very exciting but I just want this over and done with. During this time I'll also be working on a business plan so it'll be even more of a fine balance of time management. I've dropped swimming because I just don't have the time right now. I might start biking to school as part of my exercise (this way I am multi-tasking...) so that should help to clear my mind. Anyways it's just two more weeks then I won't have to be wracked by gilt every time I am not studying.

No comments: