Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Denied :(

I got my first "thanks but no thanks" e-mail from Switzerland. I applied at Badrutt's Palace as a massage therapist because lets face it... it's a stunning place. It most likely has very high standards for massage therapy so I'd be learning with leaps and bounds. Loving it too :) But last night after coming home from a wonderful night with the girls I got the e-mail.

"Dear Ms Fontaine

Thank you for your e-mail and for your interest in our hotel.

The Badrutt’s Palace Hotel is a seasonal opened alpine Resort Hotel. The hotel stays closed during the off-seasons in spring and autumn. The Youth Mobility Program requires a full time employment of at least 12 months to maximum 18 months and its combined with a special type of residence- and working permit so called Stagiaire permit. As a seasonal opened hotel we do not receive this type of permit from the Swiss foreigner police. Furthermore it’s our policy that all employees with regular Guest contact must be fluent in German, English and Italian.

We suggest you to contact City locations like hotels in Zürich, Geneva, Lucerne, etc

Thanks again for your interest and kind regards"

I wish all rejections were that polite. Luckily they got a couple of points wrong (unless I am confused, I will call the embassy to make sure I am not just doing this for nothing). From what I know, the Youth Mobility Program is usually for 12 months but there is no minimum and it can be extended to a maximum of 18 months (but you need to apply for the extension). I've never heard of a Stagiaire permit (and I looked ALL over the website) so will have to look into that... but I don't think it's necessary. I speak English and French so even if all the rest of the permit/visa stuff works out, I am shit out of luck when it comes to the languages. Oh well! I appreciate the e-mail and it's helped it make it a little bit more real for me.
It's a little fursterating on this end because that's the only e-mail I've recieved back. I've sent out my fair share of e-mails and will be running out of places to e-mail shortly. I figure it worse comes to worse, I can go for 90 days (which would have me there for my birthday, christmas and new years). The thing with that is that I would have to have enough money to do something like that. Which is fine. I am ready to work :) Unfortunately things are slow at work and I am lucky if I am getting one to two clients a day. I expected this so it doesn't come as a surprise. It's just frusterating when you want to work and there is no work. I've applied for a part time job so I can work monday, tuesday, wednesday. Eeefffffff!!! I want to find a money tree or something! Or a job in Switzerland because realistically, I want to work. I enjoy what I do so I want to massage. Oh well. Gotta keep positive.

No comments: