Friday, July 10, 2009

Change of plans

This morning I was reading Donna's blog and her most recent post was about her making life adjustments in order to be closer to her sweetheart. This made me think about where I am in my life and the adjustments I am making to be closer to mio bello principe (that's my beautiful prince in Italian... really, it sounds less cheesy in Italian :P ). So here's the story.
After a 6 hour flight, 'sleeping' 12 hours on the airport floor in Oahu airport, a other quick flight to Maui and an easy car pick up we arrive at the Banana Bungalow. Simon (who, funny enough, we'd met at the hostel two years ago and was back and working there) was checking us in. We were lucky that he still did because check in is after 2pm. We were there at 8am. It turns out we were accidentally booked in for July and not June. Oops. But he makes room and asks us how we feel about staying with a Swiss Italian. I'm just glad they have a room for the three of us together but I know that Maja prefers a 4 person room instead of a 6 person share. I don't say anything figuring that at least we have a room. If something needs to be changed, we can do so at a later time. To my surprise, it was a 4 person share with one Swiss-Italian guy and not a Swiss AND and Italian. Yay. Not thinking much about it (other then he was good tanned and looking and here we were, white and Canadian) we threw down our stuff and left for a day at the beach.
The whole trip is a bit of a blurr so it's hard to tell what happened when. All I know is that there were two bunks. The Swiss-Italian (who's name is Cesare, pronounced Che-zar-eh) and Darla were on the bottom bunks and Maja and I were on the top one. In 30+ heat with no air con or fan, Maja migrated to sleep with Darla and I was left up top, cooking. After a night or so the girls suggested that I sleep with Cesare (who also got the nick name of Cesar Salad, Che Che, Pepe, Jose - yeah, it took us a while to catch on as to how to pronounce his name) because 'it would be cooler'. Cesare seemed pleased that they suggested it and I figured why not. He seems safe but to be cautious I mummified myself in my blanket to avoid being poked by my new friends appendage (in my experience, guys can't help it when a girl is in bed with them... and I was either too innocent or hadn't realized that there was attraction forming. My mind just wasn't there. I was on vacation with the girls! yay!). I woke up early (as usual) having slept through the night without getting poked. Cesare was awake as well. We went for a walk to enjoy the beautiful Hawaiian morning and to let the girls sleep in. I think that's when it all started. There was no obvious beginning. It was just comfortable and we just went with it. We spent two days together while the girls did their own thing and by the end of our second day together it was pretty obvious that we had a thing for one another.
People go to Hawaii to honeymoon and we met there so the romance was quick and intense. It's understandable. We were in paradise. It was funny, we both agreed (this was in one of our early conversations) that long distance relationships don't work, and as travellers it's sometimes hard to keep a relationship going if your partner doesn't want to travel with you. I think this is why we're now going to make an effort to be with one another. He's in Hawaii until the end of August (or beginning of September, depending) and then he's planning on coming here. I am also planning on spending the winter in St. Mortiz, Switzerland, where he'll be working as a ski instructor.
Our last night together was low key and wonderful. Just being in one an others company makes anything pretty perfect. We sat on a bridge and talked. I learnt a little more Italian (his mother tongue) and he still practices his English. To my surprise, when we parted I cried. I didn't think I would, but I did. I felt a little silly, falling loser in lust (not going to call it love... yet) for a guy in a week. But it's cute, both of us are loser for one another. We've talked on the phone nearly every day since I've been home and we sent at least 3 to 4 e-mails to one another each day. I'm trying really hard to get a job in Switzerland because if I have a job, I get a work visa. If I don't get a job then I can't get a work visa and can only be in Switzerland for 90 days (which won't bring me up to April, which is when the ski season finishes).
Anyways, it's interesting how you think you've got yourself figured out and you know the track you're on then someone comes along and throws you off course. But it's ok, you love it and you go with it, excited about the new possibilities. I know as a massage therapist I'll grow with leaps and bounds working in Europe because they do things so differently there. I'm excited!

No comments: