Saturday, July 5, 2008

Polka dots and flying rocks

As I write this, the 3rd test cake is cooling on the kitchen counter. This one is a polka dot matcha tea cake (recipe revamped by Tartelette). This one quite interesting because I leanrt how to make my cake have little green matcha polka dots within the vanilla cake. Really cute and quite fun! The new egg beater is shot! I was so choked when it decided to stop working! I was just whisking eggs damn it! Anyways I think this is a clear sign from the universe that I should get that oh so sexy kitchenaid pro! Oh baby! Oh baby! Ok so I am taking it as a sign :P I just don't want anything to die on me the day of the cake making. Because as much as energetically whisking is fun... it won't be when it comes to making several batches of buttercream (all of which require heaps of beating).
I was going to make this with a regular white chocolate ganache... but white chocolate is so plain and boring! So what to do? Tartelette said that this cake goes really well with lemon custard or strawberry jam. Not having any strawberry jam in the house, I decided to use apricot jam. Grate a bit of ginger for an extra little zing and voila! Apricot ginger white chocolate ganache. I am looking forward to seeing how all of this works together.
This morning, while I was baking, a truck pulled up to the house under construction next to ours and it started throwing rocks past the giant pile to dirt and into a ditch around the house. It was so cool! I quickly ran to grab my camera and snap a couple of shots. I am sure this goes against every safety code in the book but it was cool to see!
As for what's happening with Minette... I still don't know. I was almost at peace with the idea of getting Mom and Dad to have her put down (I couldn't be there) but then something happened between Mom and I that had me greatly upset and I turned to Minette for comfort. When I am sad, she knows, she walks over to me, purring and that just broke my heart. I don't care how many poops, pees, pukes or what ever that I have to pick up. Holding her purring, loving little body in my arms is worth everything in the world.

No comments: