Monday, August 20, 2007

Outreach: Weekend to End Breast Cancer

On Saturday, after our orientation at Friends for Life, we had an outreach at the Weekend to End Breast Cancer. We worked in the medical tent, along with many other massage therapists (some in training, some were RMTs) and chiropractors. We had 3 massage tables and 4 massage chairs that we worked on (it was nice to change things up). Every 15 minutes, we'd get a new walker to work on. It was non stop for 4 and a half hours. It was intense! Almost like a massage marathon. You sure felt great though. The people that we worked on were so grateful for the work that we did.
I was really touched by this one little boy (possibly about 5 years old) who was wearing a t-shirt that was written "My Mommy My Hero" and next to him was his mum, short hair and all, smiling and looking strong. There were other cancer survivors there too, we worked on many of them. It was really something else. I worked on this one lady who'd never had a massage and was a bit tentative to try. However after walking 35km that day, I think anyone would be up for a massage, whether they'd had one before or not. I worked mostly on her lower back and legs and when I finished, she looked so content, it was fantastic. She even gave me a hug. I am sure that is against the PD stuff we learnt, but this seemed to be different. Many girls had their pictures taken with walkers that they'd worked on. The walkers were just so happy that we were there and volunteering our time to participate in this event.
After our "massage marathon", we enjoyed a yummy dinner and listened to the live music. The cover band was pretty good! I wanted to get up and dance but no one else seemed like they'd want to. It was nice to just sit there and get to know some of the girls. Our class merged with the class ahead of us, so now we're 7 in the class (that's counting me, we're more like 6 1/2... we would have been 10 but then Maja, Pam, and Kirsten had to take a term off). It will make for a change in dynamics because they're more mature (and less catty). It makes me wish that I was in that class full time. Mind you I am sure the other class I am going in will be great as well.
Anyways after our outreach, Darla and I still had some energy left, so we went 5 pin bowling. Her bowling name was D Man and I was OJ Fresh :) It was quite a lot of fun but after the first game, I soon realized that it may not have been the best idea to go bowling after 4 and a half hours of massage! My second game, I wasn't even able to break 100. I couldn't manage to bowl properly because my arm wouldn't lift the ball... so I granny bowled a lot :P Jace was working so it was good to catch up with him (seems to be the only time when I can!).
Still having some energy left, we went to Capers to say hello to Darla's boyfriend, Jerry, and to pick up some Pakoras and sesame snacks. We then made our way to Kino's Cafe (which I was calling Pino's Cafe... hee hee). Kino's is a Flamenco bar that I'd wanted to go to for the past two years (never got around to it though... until now). It was really fantastic! The beer and humus great and the music and dance was even better! I think I'll be going there for my birthday :)

1 comment:

Frank said...

That's awesome that you had a good time. I remember when I did a 5k run to support MS research there was a massage tent at the end....i definitely hit that up, and it was wonderful!