Saturday, January 8, 2011

Passion Imprinted

Two days ago I was rushing around, trying to get ready for work as quickly and quietly as possible. As usual when Sean stays over, I'm late. I have trouble peeling myself away from my bed because I'd rather spend a lazy morning with him than go to work (even though I really enjoy what I do... which is what makes this such a problem). So there I was, fresh out of the shower, about to start straigthening my hair and at the same time cooking rice, steaming kale and frying tofu. I started heating the oil for frying and then went to straighten a layer of hair. I went back to the hot pan and threw the tofu in the pan. By the time I realized I was tossing it in at the wrong angle, it was too late. Hot oil splashed my tummy, the front of my hip and my thigh. It hurt. I swore. Tears stung my eyes. Damn it! I really didn't have time to nurse an injury now too! Out came the ice pack and I continued to cook and get ready while icing my burns. I spent the rest of the morning wishing I could not wear underwear or pants because the feeling of the material rubbing against my burn was excruciating. I spent the day with ice packs stuffed down my pants. Most clients didn't notice. They're face down, asleep or looking up at the ceiling. Had they noticed, I would have explained. But I felt that 'you're therapist was cooking naked and burnt herself with oil' was on a need to know basis.
Last night I was laying in bed and I wondered: what if these (or the top one at least which is kind of an ugly purple colour) burns turned into permanent scars? How would I feel? I observed the contrast of the largest purple burn against my skin. The edge a shocking contrast against my white tummy. The smaller pinkish splatters look like they will fade. The bottom streak has blistered, I know those will heal with time. But the most obvious one, what if that was permanent? I realized I would be ok with that. I already have two tattoos representing who I am. This would be just like that. Representing my passion for cooking and my appreciation for the naked human form.
So now I wait for things to heal. Regardless of the outcome, I'm ok with it.

No comments: