Monday, January 17, 2011

Just say NO! to wheat, dairy, soy, corn, nuts, seeds, whole grains...

...and the list goes on!

I've been dealing with certain health issues since I've been 18 (this is pre Australia trip... which was a LONG time ago!). They've been persistent and at times so frustrating and painful that I've cried myself to sleep. So last week I put my foot down and told the naturopath that he could do ANYTHING he wanted to make these damn symptoms go away. I've been seeing the same naturopath for 3 years now and he's been great. He's helped me with many aspects of my health but this certain issue has been stubborn and has stuck around despite our efforts. Last year the symptoms decreased and things were actually manageable for a while. Three months ago everything came crawling back and I'm back at square one.

So, step one to feeling better is to heal my small and large intestine. This means I'm not allowed to eat the following for the next three weeks.

Wheat
Dairy
Soy (or any soy products) - bye bye tofu :( and Braggs
Corn (or any corn products)
Seeds
Nuts
Whole Grains
Roughage (think celery, cucumbers - they also have seeds so they're definitely out, tomatoes, bell peppers cabbage, carrots, lettuce)
Berries
Caffeine
Alcohol
Carbonated beverages
Chocolate - OH NO!!!!
Popcorn
Spicy foods (such as chili powder, salsa, black and cayenne pepper, paprika, cloves, cinnamon...)

Now when I saw the list I was like what the heck CAN I eat! I think that would be a better list to be given. Along with diet plan so I don't have to think about what I should eat (though not eating seemed like the easiest option at this point). Basically he said that leafy greens are ok as is meat. Oh and avocados too! Yay!

So I've come up with a couple delicious recipes. Those I'll post. But otherwise my dinners have been comprised of a mountain of greens and a slab of fish. I've replaced my chocolate intake (usually I pack a square of chocolate in my lunch. It does the trick) with gummy bears.

As for the health issues... two days into this whole mess my symptoms are all but gone. They resurfaced a little but went away a day later. I'm on day 5 now. Almost 1/3 done :) Yay! Looks like this should be worth it in the long run.

2 comments:

RokMomma said...

aw girlfriend how we walk the same path. I have another week to go before we reassess my situation but having ditched most of the same as yo I feel much better and my skin in recovering nicely. Fingers crossed red wine and chocolate can be part of my life again! And side note: A funny thing happens when you are told to avoid something - YOU CRAVE IT LIKE MAD!! Never have I wanted to devour a loaf of bread like I did the day after my food testing!

Unknown said...

I feel your pain - my dietary life has been on that path for the last 1 1/2 years - it gets easy after awhile! And the variety that your forced to explore is amazing!