Friday, January 21, 2011

A Beautiful Disaster

Dinner had the potential to either be a train wreck or a phenomenal experiment. It fell somewhere in between. This sprouted from a craving for pasta I had while I was doing my hour of cardio today. I'm pretty sure I've been lacking carbohydrates because my mind goes at the speed of a turtle and my attention span is that of a gnat (yes, I've upped my fish oils. But that hasn't helped).

Now how to have pasta when you can't have wheat? Well there's rice pasta which I usually eat anyways but brown rice pasta? Isn't that a whole grain? I can't have whole grains. Does it count as a whole grain if it's ground up into a flour and made into pasta? Yeah. Complicated. So I compromised. White rice pasta. But white rice pasta is pretty boring and it sure as heck wouldn't satisfy a monstrous carbohydrate craving. So what else to put in there. Enter crimini mushrooms, kale, red snapper and coconut milk. Now my dinner has potential. The potential to either be a train wreck or a phenomenal experiment.

The result? A beautiful disaster! My pasta clumped together. So what? The rest. Phenomenal!



Pasta with crimini mushroom,
kale and red snapper coconut sauce

1/3 package of white rice pasta (or if you're not on this darn cleanse, use what ever you please)
2 tbsp coconut oil
3 cloves garlic, finely chopped, divided
1 piece of red snapper, bones removed
1 can coconut milk
1 container of crimini mushrooms
a pinch of provencal herbs
5 kale leaves, washed, center removed and roughly chopped

  • Cook pasta (I won't tell you how I did it because clearly that's the wrong way haha)
  • While pasta cooks, saute mushrooms in 1 tbsp coconut oil. When the mushrooms are half sauted, add the pinch of provencal herbs.
  • While mushrooms saute, add 1/2 tbsp coconut oil to a small pan, fry half the garlic and add fish (medium low heat) to the pan. Cover. Forget about it. Don't uncover it for at least 5 minutes.
  • Once mushrooms are cooked, set aside in a bowl. Take mushroom pan and add the remaining 1/2 tsbp coconut oil and the remainder of the garlic. Lightly cook garlic.
  • Once garlic is sauted, add can of coconut milk. Let simmer until fish and pasta has finished cooking.
  • Roughly chop cooked fish (remove the skin before chopping).
  • Place drained pasta back into pasta pot, add coconut garlic sauce, kale, sauted mushrooms and fish. Warm throughout and serve immediately.

Cleanse or no cleanse. Enjoy :) This is pretty darn delicious! I'm already looking forward to leftovers for lunch tomorrow.

No comments: