Monday, August 31, 2009

Study break

The weekend has already come and gone. With the blink of an eye I arrived in Winnipeg and left. I realized why my family is the best most awesome amazing family around. Here's a quick recap of the weekend.
5:20am: rise and shine... get ready to make my way to the airport!!!
7:05am: stepped off the skytrain and blinked back tears when I saw four single travelers swing their large backpack over their shoulders and walk towards the airport.
8:09am: my flight that was supposed to leave at 8 hasn't started to board yet and talk is that it won't leave for an other little while because they need to get a new plane.
9:13am: my flight leaves, I am not on it because I would have missed my connection in Calgary. I'm waiting for news to see when I can get into Winnipeg.
9:30am: I get news that I won't be in Winnipeg until 7:50pm... the wedding starts at 5. I am pretty freaking upset/devastated/angry and anything else you could imagine.
1:30pm: On the plane to Edmonton, when the engine fires up for take off I smile and think of all the wonderful times I've heard that noise and how it always takes me somewhere nice :)
7:50pm: Arrive in Winnipeg via Edmonton after an uneventful trip. I meet with Dielle and Seig who left the wedding to come and pick me up! Glad to see their smiling faces again!
8:40pm: Arrive at the transcona country club for Stephane and Dasha's wedding celebration! I am overwhelmed by the love that fills the room. Most, if not all of the Fiolas and the Fontaine are there... and we dance until the wee hours of the morning. Jacqueline mentions she's going to Asia and will have a month and a half alone. Dad surprises me with a cold, soggy Mrs. Mike's burger (without meat) at 1am and it's the most delicious thing I'd ever eaten!
Sunday am until mid afternoon: wake up and hang out with Remi (who's couch I crashed on at 3am) until Mom and Dad come by to pick me up for the Fontaine get together. There the majority of the Fontaine clan is there... Grand Maman, Grand Papa, Aunties, Uncles, Cousins, cousins wives/husbands/boyfriends/girlfriends and fiances (congrats Karine & Brian) and little cousins. Amazing breakfasts, jello eating competitions, jello food fight, water fight, volley ball, swimming in the pool and catching up with the amazing Fontaine's ensue.
Sunday afternoon to evening: time to leave the Fontaines, I don't want to go but the Fiola cousin get together at Remi's place is up next. Again, more great food (this time I got to play in the kitchen with my cousin Remi, Suzie and their friend), gin and tonic, awesome cousins to catch up with and just an all around great time. I realize how lucky I am to have these people in my life. All of them (even those I don't know very well) are truly amazing people. Jacqueline fills me in a little more about her Asia trip... I tell her I'll look into it. I smile at the thought of board exams being two days away and think of how grateful I am to have had such an amazing study break.
1:00am: fall asleep on Grand Maman and Grand Papa Fontaine's couch.
5:30am: rise and shine, time to get to the airport... I think I am still drunk... I smell like camp fire. chuckle at the thought of being thigh to thigh next to a stranger in this state.
7am: plane leaves... on time :)
7:40am Vancouver time: plane arrive 20 minutes early!!!
8:20: Get this! I am HOME!!! Thanks to the Canada line, coming home is quicker (and cheaper) by public transit is faster then a cab! Wow.

Today I've been recovering, napping more then I should. Yes, I have registered for a 20 day Laos, Northern Thailand and Cambodia trip and will most likely be staying an extra month and a half... and, if the piggy bank is still intact at that time, I'll book an extra 40 days in the Philippines :) Oh yeah... board exams are in less then 48 hours away. Ready or not, I am won't know until I actually get the results back. I hope I am because I am tired of studying and want to get on with my life!

No comments: