Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Hash browns & Avocados

A week ago, my cousin Nadine posted on facebook 'its a hashbrown + avocado breakfast combo kinda day'. This sparked an OMG I want hash browns craving. It's strange. I don't like hash browns. I don't like potatoes. Ok. It's not so much that I don't like them it's just I don't have potato cravings or a desire to eat potatoes. My brother on the other hand, LOVES potatoes!
So on November 19th, my brothers 22nd birthday, I celebrated him in style and made a hash browns and avocado breakfast. My brother has been traveling Eastern Europe with Dasha for the past two and a half months so this was as close as I could get to celebrating with him.
The recipe is a dum dee dum* I created so feel free to use your own creativity.


Hash browns & Avocado

1/2 a tsp butter
a little more than a pan full of hash browns
Salt and pepper to taste
1 tsp butter
a pinch of oregano
a pinch of an other green herb (this is the mystery herb in my herb collection... I have no idea what it is. Chances are you have it too)
a fair good sprinkling of paprika
1 tsp butter
1/2 avocado

  • Heat the butter in the pan, it should be enough to cover the bottom of your pan, if not, add more.
  • Add enough hash browns to cover the bottom of the pan (a little more as they'll shrink). You won't want to over do it here, otherwise they'll be mushy (I think mushrooms and hash browns have this in common, which is why Julia Child said 'Don't crowd the mushrooms! Otherwise they'll steam instead of fry.').
  • Fry your hash browns until they're just about ready. Add salt and pepper to taste.
  • While the hash browns are cooking, dice the avocado.
  • Add a little bit more butter, oregano, other green herb (you can omit this), then sprinkle all of the hash browns with paprika (not too thick, just enough to cover them). Toss everything together.
  • Serve hash browns (makes about 1 serving), add diced avocado, mix, enjoy!

*term Dad uses for a recipe made up as he goes along. Usually it's impossible to duplicate the original but you can come close.

1 comment:

RokMomma said...

mmmm, mmmmm, MMMMM. Cannot wait to make these this Sunday!