Monday, November 30, 2009

Honey-Glazed Tofu on Pumpkin Seed Couscous

This was pretty yummy and total prep time is under an hour! Would I make it again? Most likely but it definitely needs some tweaking. Next time I'll have to try less honey and less oil. As a matter of fact, I think I'll just half the sauce, marinate for longer and bake it instead of frying it all. The couscous though was stellar! I really enjoyed the whole wheat couscous instead of the regular kind. Tasted a little more earthy and had a bit more sustenance. Here's the original recipe:

Honey-Glazed Tofu
1 pack extra-firm tofu
2 tsp cracked black pepper
2 tsp dried thyme
1 tsp salt
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1/2 cup honey

Pumpkin Seed Couscous
2 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
2 medium carrots, chopped (1 cup)
1 cup frozen edamame, thawed
2 tsp olive oil
1 tsp salt
1 1/2 cups whole-wheat couscous (Safeway doesn't carry this but Whole Foods does - though only in the bulk section)
1/2 cup toasted unsalted pumpkin seeds (I roughly chopped them and prefer it that way)

  • To make Honey-Glazed Tofu: Place tofu between two plates and set heavy pot on top. Drain 10 minutes, and pat dry. Cut tofu into 3/8-inch-thick slices. Combine pepper, thyme, and salt in small bowl. Coat tofu slices with pepper mixture and set aside.
  • To make Pumpkin Seed Couscous: Bring broth, carrots, edamame, olive oil, and salt to a boil in covered saucepan. Remove from heat and stir in couscous. Cover 5 minutes, then fluff with fork.
  • Meanwhile, heat vegetable oil and honey in large skillet over medium-high heat until bubbling. Place seasoned tofu in pan, and cook 3 minutes. Turn and cook 3 minutes more, spooning thickening sauce over tofu.
  • To serve: Stir pumpkin seeds into couscous. Spoon onto plates and top with Honey-Glazed tofu.

Voila! Just last week I made a lentil loaf and... well it's not really worth posting. I found that the flavors weren't very complex and it was rather boring. It tasted like lentils and chili. Really, I'm not a fan of lentils either so it was kind of a ho hum experience. There's half the loaf that's been sitting in my fridge and I am at a loss for what to do with it. I've carted around lentil loaf lunches for the past couple of days but either get something else to eat because I am just not feelin the lentils or I just don't eat at all. Unfortunately I bought 4kg of lentils from little India so I better find a yummy lentil recipe. Cuz really... what are lentils good for? I think we used to make maracas out of empty toilet paper tubes and lentils when I was in preschool.... so maybe I can donate my lentils to a preschool or something. Damn lentils... even ducks don't eat lentils!

No comments: