Monday, November 23, 2009

Chipotle Chili No Carne

Last week I made my favorite chili recipe. It's quite fitting considering the cooler, wetter days (and nights) that we've been having. Finally I've been able to find chipotle chilies (I was looking in the produce section this entire time... they're in the canned section with the Mexican stuff). I have yet to find chipotle chilies in adobo. Most places when I ask, they look at me like I'm a little crazy.
Anyways, this is a favorite recipe of mine. It makes quite a bit of chili so be prepared to have it for left overs. One evening, my family was having chicken burgers for dinner and I had a chili burger. It was messy but delicious! So there are some fun things you can make for the left overs... but let me tell you. By day 5 (of having this for lunch and dinner most days) I couldn't handle any more. I also have a tummy of steel, so if some people are sensitive to things like beans n lots of veggies, I suggest not eating so much chili.

Chipotle Chili No Carne

2 tbsp vegetable oil
1 1/2 cup yellow onion, chopped
1 cup red bell pepper, chopped
2 tbsp garlic, minced
2 chipotle chilies in adobo, freeze the rest of the can
1 (7oz) jar of sundried tomatoes packed in oil*
1 medium zucchini, diced
2 cups frozen corn kernels
1 1/2 lbs portobella mushrooms, stemmed, wiped clean and cubed**
2 tbsp chili powder
1 tbsp ground cumin
1/4 tsp cayenne
1 1/4 tsp salt
2 (14 oz) can diced tomatoes (I use one)
1 (14 oz) can black beans
1 (14 oz) can red kidney beans
1 (15oz) can tomato sauce
1 cup vegetable stock or water
1/4 cup fresh cilantro leaves

  • In a large pot, heat oil over medium-high heat.
  • Add the onions, bell peppers, and garlic. Cook, stirring, until soft. 3 minutes.
  • Add the zucchini, corn, mushrooms, and cook, stirring and the vegetables give off their liquid and start to brown around the edges, about 6 minutes. (I never understood this step, the veggies can't brown if there's liquid, so I just wait until the liquid evaporates and I brown the veggies a little)
  • Add the chili powder, cumin, cayenne, salt and stir, until fragrant, 30 seconds.
  • Add the diced tomatoes and stir well.
  • Place the sundried tomatoes (with oil) and chipotle chilies in food processor, and process until it forms a paste, add to the pot.
  • Add the beans, tomato sauce, and vegetable stock (water), stir well and bring to a boil.
  • Reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer, covered, stirring occasionally, for about 20 minutes.
  • Remove from the heat and stir in fresh cilantro. Adjust the seasoning to taste.

*I often use sundried tomatoes, then I boil them to soften then in about 1/2 cup of water. I then top up that water to a cup and add it when the recipe requests it. When blending the sundried tomatoes and chipotle chilies, I add a tbsp of oil just to make it easier to blend.

** You can also use brown mushrooms (little protobellas). I cube the stems too... same thing, different shape. Plus it's a chili! It all looks the same when it's been boiled together.

No comments: