Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Gluten Free Browned Butter Brownies

Since Gourmet magazine went the way of the dinosaur, I've been receiving Bon Apetit monthly. The articles are almost as good as those in Gourmet and the recipes are equally as inspiring. This month when I opened my little mail cubby, I pulled out a crisp February issue with a simple image of 4 brownie pieces stacked one on top of each other. The cover warned: inside a brownie recipe that will make you want to eat the entire pan. This was not a promise that I was open to considering since I was off dairy, wheat and chocolate. What was gluten free, chocolate free and dairy free were the pictures and recipes. I devoured them with my eyes and let myself be transported to a place where the rich, chewy flavors of a perfect chocolate brownie danced on my tongue.
The magazine had been sitting on my side table for two weeks when I finally told Sean that I had to make these browned butter brownies. Detox was over. Now time to retox! I bought the ingredients and was set to go... but I hesitated... Gluten seemed to be the root of my health issues. And of course, this recipe contained gluten. I quickly looked for a gluten free recipe and was not overly impressed with the results. The last thing I wanted was a healthy version of a delectable treat. So, armed with two recipes, I set off to create a fusion of the two recipes.
By the time I was blending the browned butter and chocolate mixture with the pecan flour I was giddy with excitement. The chocolate hadn't burned in the browned butter mixture. The eggs didn't scramble in the hotness of the chocolate and butter. The pecan mix smelled so good that I could have eaten that all by itself.
I put it all in the oven and hoped for the best. By this point, I figured that what ever cam out of the own I'd eat it. How could butter, sugar, chocolate and pecans go wrong?! The apartment slowly filled with the beautiful smell of cooking chocolate and sugar. What came out of the oven after 30 minutes... well you're just going to have to try this recipe for yourself. Gluten free diet or not this recipe is here to stay. It's blown every other brownie recipe I've ever made out of the water. And for the record, yes, I did eat the whole pan, but over the course of two days.



Gluten Free Browned Butter Brownies

5oz Belgian dark chocolate, finely chopped
1/2 cup butter
2 eggs
1 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup plus 2 tbsp ground pecan meal*
1/4 slightly rounded cup sorghum flour
1 tablespoon tapioca starch (or flour, same thing different label)
1/2 tsp fine sea salt
1/4 tsp baking soda
3 tsp vanilla extract

  • Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
  • Line a 9x11-inch baking pan with parchment or foil and lightly oil the bottom and 1/2 way up the sides.
  • Melt butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Continue cooking until butter stops foaming and browned bits form at the bottom of the pan, stirring often, about 5 minutes.
  • While butter is browning, in a medium bowl combine pecan meal, sorghum flour, tapioca starch and baking soda. Set aside.
  • Remove browned butter from heat; immediately add sugar. Stir until blended (sugar crystals should mostly be dissolved, some may remain).
  • Next, add finely chopped chocolate and stir constantly until chocolate had melted and is incorporated in the browned butter and sugar mixture. Add vanilla and salt. Stir to blend.
  • Let sit for 5 minutes as mixture will still be hot.
  • Add eggs to hot mixture 1 at a time, beating vigorously to blend after each addition. When mixture looks thick and shiny, add flour and stir until blended. Beat vigorously 37 strokes**. Transfer batter to prepared pan.
  • Bake brownies until toothpick inserted into center comes out almost clean (a few moist crumbs will still be attached, that's ok), about 25 to 35 minutes.
  • Cool in pan on rack. Using parchment/foil overhang, lift brownies from pan. Cut and enjoy. :)

*I am sure stores sell this, however, I just made my own using pecans and putting them in the coffee grinder (which is specifically for grinding nuts, seeds and spices).
**37 is totally a random number :) Just stir enough so that it's well blended but no need to over do it.

No comments: